• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Service Lane is the Gateway to Sales. Best Practices Needed.

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
Service Lane is the Gateway to Sales. Best Practices Needed.

We just posted a new policy where the Service Appointment log is printed in the sales office EACH MORNING.

Time of appt., Name, Vehicle, Miles, Complaint summary.

Managers and reps work this sheet all day long.

This thread ties to the DR Blog post: The Car Shopper on Your Website has Changed, Have You Noticed?

Thanks for the mention in your latest article Joe. Now I guess I'll have to deliver the goods and share with everyone how to sell more vehicles from the service drive.

Step 1: Get a list of your service appointments one day prior to the appointment. List must contain customers name (first and last), phone number (daytime preferred), year, make and model.

Step 2: Call your customer one day prior to their service appointment and use this script: Service Script

It's probably the easiest sale you can make when you put in the effort. Here are some thoughts to consider:

1. If the customer is coming in at 8:00AM, you should be there to greet them. This is the #1 reason why salespeople don't do this.
2. When you find an interested prospect, consider driving them in a new vehicle or letting them take one to work.
3. Pull their old deal and see how the last deal was worked. Try and structure the new one similar to the old one.
4. Tell them they don't have to pay the service RO. Just roll it into the appraisal.

With a proper effort most dealerships can pick up a deal or two a day doing this. Oh and what a great way to add good quality pre-owned vehicles to your lot.

The best thing a customer could ever say to me was this: "You know Jerry, I have to tell you you're good at what you do, I never had any intention of buying a new vehicle today." That's selling folks!

If somebody wants to make a few of these calls, I'll give you an outbound recording number and then coach you on how to perfect these calls.

What about Scheduling a sales person to work the service lane? I work at a satelite store and the only way for my guys to contact someone in the service lane is to be scheduled to work there. New customers(to Service) are greeted with a familiar face and older ones are offered a no charge appraisel! Keeping the salespeople motivated to do it is the hard part, but where else are they going to get the opportunity to see 25-50-100 prospects a day?

Service Coupon Ideas for Mr. Cautious Shoppers aging auto?

Check Engine Light Tuesday
--bring your ck engine light to us and we'll computer analyze it for $___

Car Starting Problems?
--Batteries starting at $_____, installation at no charge

Need the low down on your slow down?
-- Brake pads BOGO

What Service promos work for you?

What about automation? I'm all about automation rather having to depend on people to do their job.

Goal - find a process for getting service customers to raise their hands a day(s) after their service visit.

Must fit certain critera. Vehices you want and can place back on your lot for CPO resale.
Must be as automated as possible.

My thoughts - day 5, customer receives an email from dealer after visiting the service department thanking them for their service while also letting them know that their vehicle is a prime vehicle for our lot - "there has not been a better time to trade". Drive the customer to your online trade appraisal tool landing age with persuasive content and video explaining the service and benefit to the customer. Slide into a new car purchase or lease while gaining top dollar for your trade-in.

These leads go straight to the used car manager for fast followup and appointment.ut

I'm about to possibly go live with this if I can get my service marketing provider to build a filters around my criteria.

Not as effective as having the initial personal touch and phone call BUT it's automated. I need to be sure the filters are set for targeted customers only.

Thoughts anyone?

What about automation? I'm all about automation rather having to depend on people to do their job.

Goal - find a process for getting service customers to raise their hands a day(s) after their service visit.

My thoughts - day 5, customer receives an email from dealer after visiting the service department thanking them for their service while also letting them know that their vehicle is a prime vehicle for our lot

I've tried this before and once they get the car fixed or spend money on doing routine maintenance it's no longer a priority. That's why you have to get them before they come in. I have a lot of experience with this and I can tell you you'll have better success by getting them before the service appointment happens.

:2cents: