• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Setting up a Photo Booth

Our CEO has sold thousands of cars online, and as a SMU Film Major he is a master at photography and video. He created the one-sheet (linked below) for best-practices on indoor and outdoor vehicle photography. Enjoy!

Good to see dealers owning their merchandising process!!!

http://interactive.ecarlist.com/pdf/photography.pdf

This link is dead... Does anyone have the pdf saved or is there an alternate url this is stored at? :(

I don't have any space in my shop to build a photo booth. Does any one know of a portable unit or trailer setup I could buy to accomplish this idea. I am thinking something along the lines of a trailer with pop up top and drop down sides like the current fusion/camry commercial. Ideas...suggestions????

I have a friend with the same problem, lack of space. He hired a photographer that takes the pictures, on the lot, and then alters them in photoshop. Not being very experienced in photoshop, I assume that he has some sort of template set up in the program to make it less time consuming.
0A_800.jpg

Looking at some of his pictures, you will see buildings through the windows or reflected in the paint. For pictures taken on the lot, I think they are pretty good. Nothing clears the mind like a lack of alternatives.

Not being very experienced in photoshop, I assume that he has some sort of template set up in the program to make it less time consuming.

There are lots of programs out there that search for edges or differing light conditions, but I have yet to see one that did a batch-job well. Knowing that batch isn't a consistently reliable method I have to assume your person is manually inspecting each image. I wouldn't call that a very scalable business, but that's his problem.

<Disclaimer on next statement>I must admit that I have a trained eye. I am an avid photographer and have years of experience with Photoshop from a photography and graphic design standpoint, so I might be seeing more here than the average person </end Disclaimer> This image looks insanely fake to me. The reflections on the body and in the window lack context so they immediately hurt my eyes when looking at this. The driver's side windows are the ones that really stick out. It just isn't natural.

I must admit there are some pieces that are truly outstanding:
1. The pavement cutoff
2. The smooth edges where the background was cut out on the vehicle

Those are tough things to do and take some time. If he was able to mask the reflective parts of the windows and duplicate the body areas to stop the reflections there, you'd have something very special.

Here is my new "studio"... As you can see, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. A learning process to say the least. I'm starting to think the blue backdrop was a bad idea.

1.jpg1.jpg1.jpg

I recently got rid of the banner in the back and went with the digital stamp. I also tried a better camera with I think better results...

1.jpg

Alex, I've been reading a lot of your insight on photos and am curious to see what you think.

Reactions: 1 person
Alex, I've been reading a lot of your insight on photos and am curious to see what you think.

Blue is actually a good color for absorbing light, where a lighter/shinier color could cause light reflections that create some unwanted hotspots. It looks like you have a lot of direct light pointed directly at the cars. Look into some ways to diffuse the light - that should tone some of the harshness down. A few setting changes in the camera will help as well.

Overall, you're at a good point to experiment. Through some toying around, I think you will find a decent way to even the light out.

Once you get the light evenly distributed, and better diffused here are some next steps:

1. Play with the ISO - the higher the ISO number in your camera the more sensitive it is to light.
2. Then play around with some differing shutter speeds.

You will probably find that different shutter speed + ISO combinations work for different sized and colored vehicles.

You're definitely on the right track :thumbup:

For some extra reading, this is good start on lighting: Studio Photography guide and tips from Photo.net
How to diffuse light: How to Diffuse Light - wikiHow

If you need some extra diffusing equipment, check this out: Filters, Diffusers & Gels