• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Should mobile websites be free with your regular website?

After reading your discussions regarding mobile sites, and browsers jumping in, I felt the need to talk about value a bit - yes, there is value in a mobile site with your regular website, and until the day when a browser can reconfigure your site automatically, I don't see why you wouldn't want one. The leads and lead tracking you can do with an affiliated mobile site is tremendous, and a great way to add to your lead input - just make sure you beat the guy down the street to it. Not only that, but you can attract consumers' interest with the proper marketing message displayed and direct more traffic to your CRM with a properly configured campaign.

In my experience it's not big yet for car dealers. Dealers don't push it. There should be billboards on interstates that are busy and heavy traffic saying "View our inventory from your phone at mobile.mydealer.com. If the dealers don't push it it won't work. For the users experience the only thing needed is inventory, phone number, email, and name of dealer. Flash is a no go.

The bubble hasn't popped yet and I believe we are a couple years out.

In my experience it's not big yet for car dealers. Dealers don't push it. There should be billboards on interstates that are busy and heavy traffic saying "View our inventory from your phone at mobile.mydealer.com. If the dealers don't push it it won't work. For the users experience the only thing needed is inventory, phone number, email, and name of dealer. Flash is a no go.

The bubble hasn't popped yet and I believe we are a couple years out.

Well we have the technology in place so that if you go to, for example, Ford Kansas City, MO Dealer - Gary Crossley Ford: New Cars, Used Car Dealership, Auto Finance, Service Topeka from your mobile phone it automatically detects that you are on a mobile device and gives you the special mobile version. We are excited to see the amount of traffic the sites get as we continue to roll them out.

I wouldn't waste my time on a mobile site UNLESS I had "send to mobile" feature that I could promote on my window stickers, website and forms of traditional media.

Example: Text Stock/vehicle R5583 to #55655

You receive a text message with general information about that vehicle with a link that forwards the user to your dealers mobile site where you can now view photos, more information, search and such.

mobile_screenshot.png

I wouldn't waste my time on a mobile site UNLESS I had "send to mobile" feature that I could promote on my window stickers, website and forms of traditional media.

Example: Text Stock/vehicle R5583 to #55655

You receive a text message with general information about that vehicle with a link that forwards the user to your dealers mobile site where you can now view photos, more information, search and such.

mobile_screenshot.png

Nothing wrong with that, but what about just saying go to mileone.com on your mobile and it just works? Why mess with texting and go codes at all?

For example, go to mykcford.com on your mobile

It just knows your on a mobile device and switches. No need for texting go codes, special urls, or anything. Just go to our website on your computer or mobile phone!

Nothing wrong with that, but what about just saying go to mileone.com on your mobile and it just works? Why mess with texting and go codes at all?

I see what you're saying Matt but if you can send the exact vehicle the customer is interested in straight to their phone and then again link directly to that vehicle on your mobile site, why wouldn't you do that?

If I were on a dealers lot on a Sunday and was reading the window sticker that said send this vehicle via SMS to your phone, I would be WAY MORE LIKELY to engage that way rather "visit our mobile site and take 5 minutes of searching and loading pages to find this vehicle".

Text to mobile is basically instant and makes for a better experience overall for the customer.

@Jeff Kershner - I agree with the txt solution at this point. GUMIYO is the service we used and it works good. I believe that we are still early in the game with the mobile technology and the integration of websites. Not everybody of the cell phone users has a Palm Pre, HTC Touch Pro2, iPhone etc, which allows faster download times. When mobile websites are creating a value added service and you believe as an e-Commerce Director that you don't have the clientele in your target area using this gadget will its full extend don't implement it - but when you want it, than the feature should be an option, which cost something.
I compare it almost to your customer, who just bought a car from you, you agreed to get him for free some carpet floormats - and now when the deal is done the customer wants also rubber floormats, because "it could be possible that it will rain in near future" - how is your reaction?
I remember when cars.com came in my office with the announcement that they had now Chat included as well (Hello to Ryan from CAO) and it is "free" - really? I believe that the guys from CAO are in business to make money and cars.com just not passed a "freebie" along. It is (as we all know) build in alsready in their cost structure. Same with BMW or VW with their free maintenance program - somebody has to pay for it, and it is almost always the customer - you and me.

I see what you're saying Matt but if you can send the exact vehicle the customer is interested in straight to their phone and then again link directly to that vehicle on your mobile site, why wouldn't you do that?

If I were on a dealers lot on a Sunday and was reading the window sticker that said send this vehicle via SMS to your phone, I would be WAY MORE LIKELY to engage that way rather "visit our mobile site and take 5 minutes of searching and loading pages to find this vehicle".

Text to mobile is basically instant and makes for a better experience overall for the customer.

On the windows stickers I agree with you and can see that.

It is also possible to do "send to mobile" from your website on a specific car and it could text you a hyperlink directly to that car back to your mobile site.

@Jeff Kershner - I agree with the txt solution at this point. GUMIYO is the service we used and it works good. I believe that we are still early in the game with the mobile technology and the integration of websites. Not everybody of the cell phone users has a Palm Pre, HTC Touch Pro2, iPhone etc, which allows faster download times. When mobile websites are creating a value added service and you believe as an e-Commerce Director that you don't have the clientele in your target area using this gadget will its full extend don't implement it - but when you want it, than the feature should be an option, which cost something.
I compare it almost to your customer, who just bought a car from you, you agreed to get him for free some carpet floormats - and now when the deal is done the customer wants also rubber floormats, because "it could be possible that it will rain in near future" - how is your reaction?
I remember when cars.com came in my office with the announcement that they had now Chat included as well (Hello to Ryan from CAO) and it is "free" - really? I believe that the guys from CAO are in business to make money and cars.com just not passed a "freebie" along. It is (as we all know) build in alsready in their cost structure. Same with BMW or VW with their free maintenance program - somebody has to pay for it, and it is almost always the customer - you and me.

Gumiyo is great but not a complete solution. If I go to mykcford.com on my phone, I should go directly to the dealer's mobile site. I don't believe Gumiyo completes that gap. That piece has to be done by the dealership's website provider. So really you need a mobile sensing website and texting go codes both for full coverage!