• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Social Marketing Proposal for My Delaership

Andy Decker

Green Pea
May 31, 2009
First Name
Gentile Nissan
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking around the forums for a bit while I got my bearings straight, and now I think it's about time I do something.

Here is the situation, short of a website my dealership has NO presence on the internet...I personally feel like we are losing A LOT of business because of this (and lets face it, I can't pay my rent if I can't sell cars). I think if I structure it the right way, I can get the owner to give us the go ahead to start an e-marketing campaign (what with social marketing, you tube and the works).

I want to go about this as professionally as possible (opposed to a casual conversation with him) so that it is received as such and not taken as a "Well what if we did this...."

The reason I'm making this thread is because I'm looking for suggestions on things to include in my proposal, of course I will talk about the logistics behind it (facebook, youtube, twitter, digg, so on and so forth) how we will implement them and what exactly it will do for us, I guess what I'm looking for is supporting evidence from people who have already tackled social media.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My Regards,
Andy Decker
Gentile Nissan
Racine, WI

Why don't you just do it under the radar Andy? If your dealership has nothing but a website, it sounds like nobody is really paying attention to other sites. So why get permission? If you think they may say no, just do it and don't say anything. If you start selling cars, then tell them. But be sure to put it in your name as a representative of Gentile Nissan, so you don't get in trouble.

How do you think most of us here do these things ;)

Alex,

I had considered that however I think it will be much more effective if the dealership endorses it. One of the big reasons in my mind right now is actually getting an initial user base. I would love to put a couple of computers in the service lounge to get customers to sign up for Facebook and become a friend, we could train the cashiers to show people how to register and connect with dealership. Maybe offer a free oil change or some coupons for something. We could host some community events (have a blood drive at the dealership for instance). It just seems to make more sense to have everyone as involved as possible.

I don't forsee my owner turning down free advertising so long as I present it to him in the right way.

Of course I see some personal gain as well, I can see certain upsides to adding something to the effect of "Succesfully launched internet marketing campaign that generated X amount of dollars" to my resume.

Then roll on :thumbup:

Tell your boss you plan on working the social media sites from a Public Relations perspective. You'll be talking about things that are happening around the industry and Nissan that generate communication. People don't want to hear sales pitches or advertisements right off the bat, but they will be more receptive to discussing things that interest them. It is like the first steps of speaking to a customer on the lot: building the relationship so you can close the sale later. As soon as you greet a customer on the lot you don't start closing the sale right on the spot.

Tell him this will build long-term value with the people you communicate with so they only think of your store when it is time to make a purchase. You can also ask for employee referrals when you need to hire people and attendance for dealership events (like the blood drive you already mentioned).

You just have to let your boss know this is a long-term deal. It doesn't pay off immediately - you have to build it over time.