• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Software That Finds Any Comment or Review About Dealership

therealabih

Green Pea
Dec 8, 2010
First Name
Brian
Greetings,

Yesterday myself and owner had a conference call with a company regarding Social Media. I will not use the company name. Very impressive presentation. Most of the time was spent on how this company can track any comments or reviews about our dealership. Facebook, Blogs, Twitter, Google, Dealerrater, Merchant Circle, Yellowbook and on and on.

My question is obviously how can they do this? What software program gives a company the ability to monitor so many dealers and comments on dozens of sites? We would love to have a program like this. We are a small town dealership that most of our business is internet. We can't afford the hefty price that the company charges for their service.

Any suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian Thompson
Internet Manager
Woody Butts Chevy
Cochran, GA
www.woodybuttschevy.com
1-800-493-5174

Google Alerts would be a start

What's cheaper, having somebody manage all this at your dealership or paying a company to do so for you? Being in a small town, you might only need to be active in a handful of these sites, versus all of them. Do some due diligence and come up with a solution that's going to work for you.

They are likely using multiple crawl achieves... plus running their own website crawlers. Some of the sources that could be used for this is...

DotBot - Dotnetdotcom.org
Bellko
80Legs.com/Flaptor/Exalead/Quintura/GigaBlast
Search APIS from SEs like Yahoo/Bing, Ask, Alexa/Amazon, Google
Twitter Feed Search
Some free crawl datasets can be found by searching for Web Crawl Datasets
Etc...

If looking to run your own... check Spidering Hacks book from o'rielly. If looking for software then I recommend Nutch... currently using the underlying Solr project to crawl our dealer sites for free form search...

Like Jerry said Google Alerts... plus you can locate your dealership on the local search engines like Google Local, Yelp, Local.com (AutoJini.com Dealer Website Blog: Optimizing for local search engines use the image in the post see all Local SE) and and put an alert on WatchThatPage - Monitor web pages extract new information or ChangeDetect - Web Page Monitoring - Free Online Service to monitor for any changes... Following are other sites where you can set up alerts

Yahoo Alerts
Yahoo Pipes (Blogs, etc)
SocialMention
backtype