• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Sold Customer Referral Brainstorm

DanMorgan

4 Pounder
Nov 13, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
I've been thinking about an out of the box way to market my sold customers for referrals.

I have some ideas but I don't want it to be cheesy looking or make me look desperate :D :LOL:

My main idea is a "dollar-looking" coupon that has $100 on it saying something to the effect of this can be worth $100 or more and then go into a 2 line schpeel about referrals and how they are greatly appreciated and keep me going.

Any thoughts or anything you all are doing that is effective and getting your result?

Thanks.

You don't need to pay people to give you referrals! People will do it for free if you just ask them.

Develop a good technique for asking and always be asking.

I agree......the most important part is providing the experience, service and value that get people to want to tell their friends about. We don't pay for referrals, we provide great experiences and ask. We do provide rewards points...... Acton Toyota Rewards Program | Toyota Scion dealership in Littleton MA which has been a nice thing to offer and well received, but it's not what drives our referrals.

You don't need to pay people to give you referrals! People will do it for free if you just ask them.

Develop a good technique for asking and always be asking.

I agree with Jerry and Craig.

The best referrals come from a standout experience. Deliver an average experience, then pay for referrals. For example, when you have a awesome dining experience, you don't even think of "Quid Pro Quo" (aka something for something).

In one of my multi-million dollar retail start-ups, I started car/truck custom shop that became huge. I merchandised all the stores with one mission. "Design the experience so the shopper will never leave the store without wanting to tell a friend a story." I bought skins of cars, trucks and hot rods and had them crashing out of walls, hanging from the ceilings, under glass floors and flushed into walls. A killer merchandising weapon was a 40 foot wall of cork with pics of 100's of customers by their rides (everyone likes to see themselves and bring a friend to show off too ;-).

In every business, referrals come from one place and they are all under your control...

Passion, imagination and execution.

Passion....... Love what you do.
Imagination.. Dare to be different.
Execution.... Discipline makes it all work.

I'm in Maryland too....birddogs are illegal? :thinker: :lol:

I agree with wowing the customer to get referrals for free and I definitely do that and works well. I'm just trying to think of another effective way to market my customers soon after they purchase, while my name is still somewhat fresh in their head, to send people they know into me.

I hear enough customers say, "I'm telling folks I know to go buy from Dan" but I never see anyone they know. :lol: