• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Stealing content is a no-no, I thought...

Jake L

Over the Curb
Dec 2, 2010
First Name
Jake
Tom White, Jr. | Staff – Jerry Durant Auto Group – Weatherford | Toyota | Cadillac | Chevrolet | GMC | Hyundai | Dallas | Fort Worth | DFW

Tsk tsk. Not sure who exactly runs this website but I believe I did get the link from here.

You're not only harming your competition in the serps you're harming yourself. Not trying to make anyone get in trouble, just that I wish dealers would be original. Someone could have copied my sales copy/text for their dealership across the country but Google doesn't understand that.

Last edited:
I dont understand what this is about, but if this is a thread about stealing content.. how about using other dealers' names for keywords outside of PPC?

This vendor that sells CL solutions to the dirt lot dealers out here is putting "(our dealership name)" on the bottom of their Craigslist ads in white text. While a typical internet manager should 'lol' considering no consumer searches for the dealership name on CL nonetheless show up on search engines, it's starting to piss the sh*t out of me. They've gotten their asses chewed out by my GM for this, and theyre still doing it. Now I realized that some dealers of the same vendor are using NEW CAR DEALER keywords on their ads (K*yes, M*ller, etc), and I'm thinkin of hitting their internet managers up with an anonymous email explaining how their brand is being compromised, or just say hey im from this dealer and we've noticed theyre doing the same stuff to you guys.

I'm thinkin of hitting their internet managers up with an anonymous email explaining how their brand is being compromised, or just say hey im from this dealer and we've noticed theyre doing the same stuff to you guys.
I would do this. The larger groups have a team of highly paid lawyers that would just eat this kind of BS up.

Tom White, Jr. | Staff – Jerry Durant Auto Group – Weatherford | Toyota | Cadillac | Chevrolet | GMC | Hyundai | Dallas | Fort Worth | DFW

Tsk tsk. Not sure who exactly runs this website but I believe I did get the link from here.

You're not only harming your competition in the serps you're harming yourself. Not trying to make anyone get in trouble, just that I wish dealers would be original. Someone could have copied my sales copy/text for their dealership across the country but Google doesn't understand that.

Jake - that was actually me who did that. No one else. I totally forgot I left it up there. By no means was I stealing content - I just liked the "idea" of having more information about the sales people on the "about us" and with my ignorance I left it up there to see how things were formatted. I didn't want to copy - I actually don't like the idea of "pick your salesperson" like they have it. I just want an about us that is different than just a picture and a phone number.

With that said - you can see everything is taken down. I am active member of this community and believe in doing business the right way. And to be honest - it makes zero business sense to have other people not located at my dealership with their phone numbers and information on my site. That was and is a big blunder on my part and give my most sincere apologies.

Feel free to message me if you would like to chat more about this. Again - I truly apologize and I will be more than happy to chat offline about this if you would like.

Sincerely,
Marc McGurren
Internet Director
Jerry Durant Auto Group

Nice Marc :thumbup:

We all experiment and sometimes forget to pull the experiment down (or get pulled away on something else). I admit to being a forgetful experimenter myself - it is amazing how many experiments I've left behind to rediscover when we're in the middle of a site overhaul.

Jake - that was actually me who did that. No one else. I totally forgot I left it up there. By no means was I stealing content - I just liked the "idea" of having more information about the sales people on the "about us" and with my ignorance I left it up there to see how things were formatted. I didn't want to copy - I actually don't like the idea of "pick your salesperson" like they have it. I just want an about us that is different than just a picture and a phone number.

With that said - you can see everything is taken down. I am active member of this community and believe in doing business the right way. And to be honest - it makes zero business sense to have other people not located at my dealership with their phone numbers and information on my site. That was and is a big blunder on my part and give my most sincere apologies.

Feel free to message me if you would like to chat more about this. Again - I truly apologize and I will be more than happy to chat offline about this if you would like.

Sincerely,
Marc McGurren
Internet Director
Jerry Durant Auto Group

Marc, like I said not trying to get you in trouble or anything...i just see this too much with other dealers. Of course its okay to take an idea and make it your own, just publish the page until you have done so. Mainly for negative SEO effects for you and your competition, as well as the ethics part.

Marc, like I said not trying to get you in trouble or anything...i just see this too much with other dealers. Of course its okay to take an idea and make it your own, just publish the page until you have done so. Mainly for negative SEO effects for you and your competition, as well as the ethics part.

I concur sir. I totally forgot about it....

Thanks for the heads up...:)