• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The Mother of FQR videos

This was awesome.

In my book I wrote that these are the 6 musts of an internet lead first response:

The first response should have the following at a minimum:

1. 10 Minute or Less Response Time
2. Clear and Concise Writing (minimal clutter)
3. Confirmation of the specific vehicle’s availability
4. A fair price and a reason for “Why Buys” (Is there a sale ending? Special incentives? Lots
of action on this car? Low inventory?)
5. An introduction of the salesperson including a link to positive reviews
6. Invitation to come down today at a specific time (or tomorrow if it’s too late)

I still get flak from my corporate peeps to use our generic first response that looks like this:

"Thank you for your inquiry on the 2019 Audi RS 3, and for the opportunity to earn your business. I am happy to confirm that this vehicle is still available. The RS 3 is a premier vehicle known for its quality and performance.

[ANSWER QUESTION HERE, OR DELETE LINE IF NO QUESTION WAS ASKED]

Have you test driven a 2019 RS 3? I would like to schedule an appointment for you to come in today and enjoy a drive. If today does not work, just let me know what day and time work best, and I will set an appointment for you to ensure a quick and efficient visit. What is your preferred method of contact?

At Audi Stevens Creek, we offer very attractive sales and service specials that fluctuate as new programs become available, so don’t hesitate to take advantage. We pride ourselves on having one of the region’s largest vehicle selections.
Thanks again for the opportunity to work with you."

I think it is an ugly email and way too long, plus I think it's boring.

1. 10 Minute or Less Response Time

I am beginning to question the need to be so quick on the email response. If you're going to send a response like the one you used as an example then sure, be fast because that's all you've got going for you with that garbage.

If you send the customer something they want, they are not going to be upset if you don't get it to them within 10 minutes. It is a perfectly acceptable email practice to not be immediate. What is an acceptable response timeframe though? The only convincing numbers I have seen, lately, is more about the exponential decline in responses if you don't get a response back from the customer within 4 days of the lead coming in.

In my car shopping experiences, I'm finding the number of responses overwhelming. Within 15 minutes you'll hear from 3 different dealers and get at least 2 emails from each + the lead source if third party. None of them have any substance whatsoever. All annoying noise.

In fact, the only one consistently sending me relevant emails is CarGurus. They send available cars, other options to consider, and prices.

Reactions: craigh
In my car shopping experiences, I'm finding the number of responses overwhelming. Within 15 minutes you'll hear from 3 different dealers and get at least 2 emails from each + the lead source if third party. None of them have any substance whatsoever. All annoying noise.

I bought my current car a year ago and had a terrible experience.
Either they responded immediately with a useless email asking me for information I already put in the lead form OR they didn't respond at all.
Some dealers still wanted to talk to me on the telephone - can you imagine?

Reactions: Alex Snyder
Some dealers still wanted to talk to me on the telephone - can you imagine?

<rant>

John Deere is my weapon of choice for yard and snow duties. The local JD/Stihl dealer is one I have done A LOT of business with, but I'm having a difficult time continuing to work with them because their current sales guy is an order taker. I want to be sold.

Last week I asked him to email me prices for a HLA 1500 snow push and a wood splitter to go on my big tractor. He calls three times. I'm too busy to answer any of those calls, so I email him again asking him to email me the things I requested. He finally responds saying the HLA 1500 is too small for my big tractor and that I need to go with the 2500 at twice the price. I respond back asking "why?" His response is "the guys at HLA said you need the bigger one."

Unpacking this a bit further for those of you who can't read my thoughts...

You are trying to upsell me on a more expensive item and you can't give me a justifiable reason with logic nor anything to help cushion the doubling of the price. I have completely shut down and am no longer in the market for a snow push nor a splitter.

Granted, there is not a need to purchase either of these items as I already have them in some other capacity. But my inquiry could be a lot like someone who gets the bug for upgrading to a more fun car. One email, or too many phone calls, can send someone right out of the market.

To further my disdain, this is the third time I've given this guy a shot. There will never be another time. To win my business I want you to make it easy for me and sell me.

</rant>