• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The Phone is not ringing??

Google realizes how easy it is to set up a false business online.

To improve the quality of the search result, they compare the NAP (Name Address & Phone#) on the page against all the records it can collect. These records are called citations. The more NAP matches Google gets, the higher the likely hood that the site is legit.

In a perfect world, everything lines up and its easy. We all forget the ridiculous math google's engineers brew up to make the it work as well as it does.

From my findings, your are safe if you use the same number across all listings / directories - online and offline. Changing this number across all the listings is a nightmare and you better be willing to monitor your Google places page daily, heck hourly.

Jeff, I talked with Century Interatcive, they said its safe to use differenent numbers and that they have seen no problems.

I am curious if anyone is using 2 numbers? GP gives additional places for phone numbers. I wonder if you used a primary numbe rfor tracking, then used a 2nd number, say the same as your website number, to help with the relevancy?

Eley,

I have the highest respect for Century, but your asking them a question that says... "If I pull your phone number off the net, what's your opinion?"

To be perfectly honest with you Eley, Google Local is a PAIN IN THE A** and I'm all done wasting hours fighting it. I personally would recommend you look into finding Local SEO expert that can tell you like it is. I am seriously looking into having my local work redone.

FYI: I am interviewing our Dev Basu of Toronto SEO & Internet Marketing Company | Powered by Search for a DR post soon.

3-4 years ago, I hired the world famous Mike Blumenthal 4 years ago to get me out of my nightmare.

Both men are world class experts, both are interviewed for the famous Local Search Ranking Factors | Local SEO Best Practices for Ranking in Google Places <-- If your into DIY, that link is the bible to fixing and optimizing local SEO.

HTH,
Joe