• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The Real Used Car Death Spiral

ed.brooks

Boss
Jan 15, 2010
Awards
First Name
Ed
While looking over an upcoming conference agenda, I noticed a bullet point on speaker’s agenda: Winning pricing strategies -avoiding the death spiral of pricing to market average.

This is a real concern, and one I address every day. The concern is that if everyone rushes to be a little more competitive, there will be no gross left in your used cars. One dealer after another will participate in a race to the bottom.

The truth is the used car market is much more dynamic, with lots more moving parts, than this simplistic view represents.

1. If you pay no attention to the market, your customer base will be only the 10% to 15% of the market that doesn’t shop online.
  2. If you can stay ahead of the trends by using real data in real time, rather than historical data and outdated registration figures, you’ll be stocking less price sensitive cars – the ones in short-supply and higher-demand, right now, than your competition that is “living in the past”.
  3. Price isn’t everything (but it does matter)! On many cars, being in the ‘Competitive Range’ is enough to get your share of online traffic. Add in great merchandising and a good dealership reputation and you have a winning combination. But if you stock High Market Days Supply units that are dying on the vine at every dealer in town – and price those cars higher than the guy down the street – be prepared to see very little traffic, have aged inventory, and higher wholesale losses.
  4. Trend-followers will have trouble identifying the right inventory from the troubled inventory and make poorer decisions than the dealers that are staying ahead of the trends. Those watching the market will be moving to cars with more potential for a higher gross and identifying the trends much earlier.

The Real Used Car Death Spiral comes from reduced traffic due to over-pricing. The higher you price the less traffic you generate. Then you feel that you must have a higher mark-up per car and make more gross per deal to make up for the short-fall… and you get even less traffic. Or you hide costs to the consumer in your advertising and eventually destroy your reputation… and you get even less traffic.

Make no mistake, living in the past is no way to succeed in the future.

Reactions: 2 people
A chat with Dale Pollack will floor you on how he "sees" the business landscape and how it interconnects to the tables and menus in vAuto. He knows where everything is on vAuto and what it looks like and how to find it.

After my 1st phone call with him, I came away wondering who had the handicap?

Reactions: 1 person
The 800lb independent preowned store gorilla in our market is a flat-pricing, volume-based store. 500-700 units every month like clockwork. Every search on ATC has them as the cheapest in the market nearly 100% of the time.

A chat with Dale Pollack will floor you on how he "sees" the business landscape and how it interconnects to the tables and menus in vAuto. He knows where everything is on vAuto and what it looks like and how to find it.

After my 1st phone call with him, I came away wondering who had the handicap?

This reminds me of a quote that I heard from Dennis Galbraith in the video of his keynote speech at the Digital Marketing Strategies Conference. His quote from the 30:40 mark of the video when referring to Dale is: "A blind guy in Chicago can know more about provisioning your inventory than you can in your own market"

The rest of the video is worth the time it takes to watch also. That quote though nails it as far as Dale knowing more about some dealers inventory problems than they do.

Reactions: 1 person
This reminds me of a quote that I heard from Dennis Galbraith in the video of his keynote speech at the Digital Marketing Strategies Conference. His quote from the 30:40 mark of the video when referring to Dale is: "A blind guy in Chicago can know more about provisioning your inventory than you can in your own market"

The rest of the video is worth the time it takes to watch also. That quote though nails it as far as Dale knowing more about some dealers inventory problems than they do.
It's always a pleasure watching one of the smartest guys in the business (especially when he talks about my boss - also one of the smartest guys in the business)

Quality post. Now if only I could get my dealers with used cars sitting on their lots for 120 days to grasp some of this. ;x A few have vAuto too - they just haven't invested in employees competent enough to use it properly. It frustrates me to no end.