• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The start of a review and maybe social vendor cleanup?

Jason Petkov

Full Sticker + Prep
Jun 6, 2013
First Name
Jason
We've all seen the traps that dealers have fallen into with these companies and their deceptive marketing/practices. I hope this article and judgement not only serves as a warning to misleading fly by night vendors but cleans them up as well!

The suit alleged that Humankind, parent company of GlowingReviews.co, registered more than 2,000 fake accounts with Edmunds.com on behalf of 25 dealers across the country.

Congratulations Edmunds!

Edmunds.com Settles With Firm for

As always research any vendor you plan on doing business with thoroughly!

Not to spoil it, but this is too good not to quote

GlowingReviews.co has since shut down since the lawsuit was filed in June. Anderson claimed employees were laid off “due to shutting the site.”
“I just want this to be over. …,” Anderson added. “We can’t afford to fight a legal battle, so it’s easier just to close.”

I completely agree! The market became supersaturated a long time ago! I think over the next year or two we are going to see some substantial changes in the industry and a desaturated vendor market will be one of them.

The past 2 years has been very contractual & acquisition heavy at a growing rate. Between Autotrader acquiring every other company, GM / Cobalt with their mandatory service providers and Google with god knows what up their sleeve... So much for just wanting to sell cars!

Are the dealers being penalized? Are the reviews taken down afterwards? What's being done to deter it from happening in the future?

I've poked around a bit and there's no additional info out there yet. I am sure the reviews have been removed. The dealers may or may not be the victim's here so I couldn't imagine them being penalized, however I would believe that their reviews will be closely watched in the future. Unfortunately there will always be ways to circumvent anything in the future, but the cost my outweigh the demand or service to do so.