• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The Top Vehicle Listings Websites - Who's NEXT?

Jeff,

Respectfully, I have to go with Todd on this... I have a large independent who is high volume and dealers in the area often ask me how I recommend they compete with him. I generally turn the question around:

* The independet is buying cars franchised dealers wholesale (ie. units with a bad car fax or a title with a blemish) and/or do not bid on at auction, and this dealer does not recon the cars to the same level as his franchised couter parts.
* This independent prices himself well below his franchised counter parts on the 3rd parts sites. Frankly, he feeds off franchised guys sending him customers on third party sites.

QUESTIONS:
a. Should a franchised dealer compete against this dealer in pricing? How much should the franchised dealer spend on a monthly basis to send all of his customers to a 3rd party site where he/she can only compete based on price?
b. If you do not believe you are in competition with this dealer should you make pricing and buying decisions based on this dealer?

Yes, Every Independent and franchised dealers are your competitors.
There's many ways to hijack their website traffic.
Cost? 40% Less than AutoTrader.

I was for CarGurus as they done well on organic... but after looking at cached copies to what user sees... I'm holding back... they are due for a penalty soon... due to hidden text....

google.com/cars had me worried a bit... but after that failed experiment... nothing is going to change.

I agree, They scrape many review sites dated as far back as 2007.
I have many distrustful feelings about them.

Here is the latest news:
“We’re trying to solve a problem that is being exhibited by a very small minority of the dealer community, but unfortunately is propagating this myth that all dealers are bad,” Steinert said in an interview. “What we’re trying to do here is erase this negative stigma that is being used as a broad brush against all dealers.”Steinert said bait-and-switch postings are the second-most common complaint among users who leave negative reviews.
The No. 1 complaint, he says, is dealers responding too slowly, or failing to respond at all, to consumer lead inquiries. Consumers post nearly 300 dealership reviews on the CarGurus Web site daily.
The 2 to 3 percent of monthly leads that once went to bait-and-switch listings will now migrate to legitimate listings, Steinert said.

CarGurus shopping site launches formula to weed out bogus vehicle listings.
Source: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...te-launches-formula-to-weed-out-bogus-vehicle

Last edited:
Umer, like my blog post said, cargurus CEO and his team have the most digital intelligence our space has ever seen*. Look at their SERP performance and Compare their results to the thousands of wanna be players that fight for these ranks.

No my friend, I say rather than be cautious or their tactics, say to yourself, what can I learn from their amazing understanding of the SEO "game"?

*Cargurus CEO Langley S. founded tripadvisor.com, grew it to world class status and sold it. Cargurus is his next move.

Your spot on Joe!
I posted a link of a article on this thread titled: CarGurus shopping site launches formula to weed out bogus vehicle listings.

Todd Caputo

That's great that your doing good without using 3rd party, and classified sites.
In looking at your home page, I see duplicate content. See the screen grab below.
This is costing your website thousands of unique visits a month.

I do recommend having some kind of
(new and used) listing/classified sites, just not the ones any dealers use within a 100 miles from your location:)

Manny Luna

It's great your doing good without using your web site http://vlautomotivemarketing.com/. It hasn't been working for over 48 hours.

Sites go down all the time, so to validate this observation, I went to a 3rd party site WebPagetest - Website Performance and Optimization Test to triple check and monitor your website being down. Test results state: "(Error: Failed to Connect)" See the screen grab below and here's a link to your test WebPagetest Test Result - Dulles : vlautomotivemarketing.com/ - 03/05/14 11:42:10

I do recommend having some kind of skilled person to help you run your website for you. You're family member is listed as the registrar, you've got some work to do: VlaUtomotiveMarketing.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools

Screen Shot.jpg

Manny Luna

It's great your doing good without using your web site http://vlautomotivemarketing.com/. It hasn't been working for over 48 hours.

Sites go down all the time, so to validate this observation, I went to a 3rd party site WebPagetest - Website Performance and Optimization Test to triple check and monitor your website being down. Test results state: "(Error: Failed to Connect)" See the screen grab below and here's a link to your test WebPagetest Test Result - Dulles : vlautomotivemarketing.com/ - 03/05/14 11:42:10

I do recommend having some kind of skilled person to help you run your website for you. You're family member is listed as the registrar, you've got some work to do: VlaUtomotiveMarketing.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools

View attachment 1952

Thank you Joe!

I been told so many great things about you!

Yep, we are days away from our new site being Live, no worries.
Yes, My wife is part owner of the company and worked in the biz selling 40 cars a month.

Our new site will somewhat look like this!
CAR LEASING CHEAP LEASE CARS SALES CAR LEASING CHEAP BUSINESS HIRE DEALS

This site generates more than 100,000 unique monthly users and an average of £3.5 million worth of cars and vans leased monthly.

PS. Forgive me if I was out of line, Dealer.com is also a top three pick!
They have some of the best back end tools to work with! We referred them to two huge Toyota dealers.

Have a Great Day!

Last edited:
Thank you Joe!

I been told so many great things about you!

Yep, we are days away from our new site being Live, no worries.
Yes, My wife is part owner of the company and worked in the biz selling 40 cars a month.

3 days ago, your site was working. It was flash...gulp. FYI, 4 yr old DR post: Flash Websites need to die

You're an SEO who use to be a car sales man. Manuel 'Manny" Luna | LinkedIn. To build your street creds here, rather than use free online tools and "stab in the dark" at a SEO strategy, may I suggest you share some specific and helpful suggestions to help our non-technical visitors with some of your best ideas.

You need to be keenly aware that our audience is filled with the brightest minds in our industry, We pride ourselves on knowledge sharing. So... beware, we can smell a product pitch a million mies out.

One highly successful path vendors take here is to offer a free trial to a handful of dealers and in return you use the collected data to present a before and after study.

Reactions: 1 person
Our new site will somewhat like this!
CAR LEASING CHEAP LEASE CARS SALES CAR LEASING CHEAP BUSINESS HIRE DEALS

This site generates more than 100,000 unique monthly users and an average of £3.5 million worth of cars and vans leased monthly.

Manny, DealerRefresh is where all the brightest minds come. Our posse of DealerRefresh crazies found Ling here years ago. We adore her "screw the data, I know what makes people smile!". Ling is a DR member: View Profile: LINGsCARS - DealerRefresh Automotive Technology Forums Ling also is a contributor http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f43/best-automotive-website-ever-lings-cars-2505.html

Manny, DR is an awesome research tool and an awesome community of the sharpest minds in the biz. Hop in here and fire away, but be ready to "share the wealth" and improve our game.

We're all here to sell cars.