• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The Top Vehicle Listings Websites - Who's NEXT?

MilehiMike makes some excellent points. Customers do spend a ton of time researching vehicles and trying to make the most informed decision they can. But they will buy their car based on emotion. I'm not sure if you have seen what's happening on the digital traffic side of things but mobile is close to becoming the preferred method of browsing. Consumers will be punching the dealer website into their mobile devices and getting several thing:

1. An address and a map to the store along with the dealerships ratings from Google and Yelp.
2. Possibly an SEM Ad above the search results
3. The opportunity to search view the website on mobile

Try this with your store and make sure you have a good look and feel

Besides all the cool stuff @JoePistell writes about this, cars are different to hotels and most other online shopping experiences in that there is a "like" and emotional response attached to the purchase decision. Customers don't buy the best car that fits their needs, they buy that one that looks good among those that they deem to have the qualities to fit their needs. and if the dealer doesn't have the right color, they will quickly change to something else.

Reactions: Stefan
I'll dbl down @yagoparamo observation.

Buying a car is like buying a puppy.
You do all your homework, decide on your breed(s), walk into the Pet Store and... BAM! your emotion tramples your logic (and your homework) and you walk out with a fuzzy new puppy that stole your heart.

I do it at BestBuy all the time.
I want a big a** flatscreen, I do all the homework, I get a short list of finalists, I walk into Best Buy and... BAM! the eye candy & emotion tramples my logic (and my homework).

A great website doesn't sell the car, it sells a great store experience.

Reactions: Casey77 and Stefan
This is what'll keep Carvana from being a beast....

You do all your homework, decide on your breed(s), walk into the Pet Store and... BAM! your emotion tramples your logic (and your homework) and you walk out with a fuzzy new puppy that stole your heart.

I want a big a** flatscreen, I do all the homework, I get a short list of finalists, I walk into Best Buy and... BAM! the eye candy & emotion tramples my logic (and my homework).

This is why Digital Retailing has underperformed expectations

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau

Well said.

That's why car dealers should revise their technology choices. Because a great website experience begins with a great website design.
I'm sick of seeing online dealerships that look like it late nineties out there.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Regarding vehicle listings websites.

What do you guys think about FB Marketplace? Will it become something significant or not? Should one spend money on adverising there or it is not worth it?

Initially, we received a fair number of leads. Then, a few month long lull. Now that we have our merchandising process fixed (again) - the leads are coming back again. Have a guest in at this moment on a vehicle he drove 2 hours to see, off Facebook Marketplace.

Full page in the LA Times weekend edition.

5309f8fb-5aa8-4911-a1bd-60f1ffa03a88-original.jpeg