• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

This has probably been beaten to death...

These are awesome if you already have their info or attention. Neither of these generate traffic.

Yes, but you asked what the best way to engage with a customer was, not the best lead generator. I'm finding the best way to do both is to drag them to your website as cleverly as you can and engage them with chat or a website filled with call to action. Autotrader and cars.com allow for chat, so a focused effort on improving the ability of your sales team to pull information from a customer over the chat line would certainly be a great place to start.

If you're talking about proactively driving traffic (not sure where chat & text came into this), then I'd say forums. I really enjoyed interacting with the specific car forums (S2Ki, Cayman Club, IH8MUD, and BimmerPost were ones I frequented and drew a lot of customers from).

If you're talking about proactively driving traffic (not sure where chat & text came into this), then I'd say forums. I really enjoyed interacting with the specific car forums (S2Ki, Cayman Club, IH8MUD, and BimmerPost were ones I frequented and drew a lot of customers from).

Alex,

I suggested chat and text because the question was:

What are your favorite ways to interact with customer?

To drive traffic:

Craigslist
Microsites
Blog
PPC
etc, etc