• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Tik Tok, what's your plan?

I've been waiting for someone to post this question.

What happened to SnapChat? I always thought SC would have been great for dealers to send price quotes through. You see it, and now you don't - no chances of the customer taking your quote to the competition. :cool:

Before I got old like @john.quinn I was always up on the latest media formats while thinking through how one/business/brand could utilize them for marketing and advertising. Now I think Social Media is the Devil.

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 3.39.16 PM.png

So much so, it's not permitted in my home unless your 18 and over. That's a lie, my son is grandfathered to IG and my daughter, through much convincing is on TikTok, BUT that was before it really blew up. Both are often monitored. Anyway...

You can spend a lot of wasted bandwidth and time trying to leverage all the latest hyped media with only a few really having a payoff. It's not like these sites have a time limit for when you can sign-up and take advantage. I'm not saying that getting in early does not often provide an advantage, but at this point so much of it is pay to play. Sit back, relax - keep your eyes on it, keep up on the latest trends and when it become apparent that you can reap some actual benefits from it, then maybe give it a shot.

But hey, if you're sitting around and you have the time, resources and already killing it in sales and service - then I guess go for it.

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 3.20.28 PM.png

Why Retailers Need to Pay Attention to TikTok

Last edited:
I'm in on the Tik Tok hype. I'm just not too sure what "good" looks like right now for digital advertising for dealerships. I've seen some really great steps forward from Tik Tok for digital retail like allowing you to link in bios, as well as the ability to direct a click from their videos to a landing page. Will be interesting to see what the next step forward for them is.

Also RE: Vine, they fell away because of a lack of funding. Tik Tok fortunately (unfortunately?) is owned by a Chinese company called ByteDance with copious amounts of cash. They should be around for a while, and have a shown a willingness to make changes and adapt. We're trying new things with Tik Tok video and would love to share plans offline with anyone interested.

Tik Tok good for car dealers would be the sales team lining up to sing Christmas songs out of a pickup truck.

Am I doing this right?

Reactions: mikesayre
I've been waiting for someone to post this question.

What happened to SnapChat? I always thought SC would have been great for dealers to send price quotes through. You see it, and now you don't - no chances of the customer taking your quote to the competition. :cool:

Before I got old like @john.quinn I was always up on the latest media formats while thinking through how one/business/brand could utilize them for marketing and advertising. Now I think Social Media is the Devil.

View attachment 4476

So much so, it's not permitted in my home unless your 18 and over. That's a lie, my son is grandfathered to IG and my daughter, through much convincing is on TikTok, BUT that was before it really blew up. Both are often monitored. Anyway...

You can spend a lot of wasted bandwidth and time trying to leverage all the latest hyped media with only a few really having a payoff. It's not like these sites have a time limit for when you can sign-up and take advantage. I'm not saying that getting in early does not often provide an advantage, but at this point so much of it is pay to play. Sit back, relax - keep your eyes on it, keep up on the latest trends and when it become apparent that you can reap some actual benefits from it, then maybe give it a shot.

But hey, if you're sitting around and you have the time, resources and already killing it in sales and service - then I guess go for it.

View attachment 4477

Why Retailers Need to Pay Attention to TikTok

"You can spend a lot of wasted bandwidth and time trying to leverage all the latest hyped media with only a few really having a payoff."

That's it right here. This applies everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brittany