• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Tips for Vendors

Eric Miltsch

Smile, it's good for you!
Apr 16, 2009
First Name
Eric
Jeff & Alex have posted the rules about blatant vendor self-promotion/sales pitches within the forums - here's my thoughts on how a vendor would grab my attention...

Replying to someone's question about a topic, or offering your side-by-side competitor comparisons won't prompt a phone call or an email just because you've said "Call Today" or included your link in a signature.

Providing value first will: (and I'm sure Jeff won't object to value-added, fact-driven posts that, when finished, you actually learn something rather than feeling like you were violated)

- Start a new thread about a topic that educates first. What are the stats for the industry? The metrics? The opportunities?
- Share a (real) case study that demonstrates how your product/service solved a specific problem and what the results were.
- Provide a testimonial - with contact info. (And not a shill - it'll be sniffed out right away.) A lot of my vendors have their prospects call me; its usually an easy sale for them as the prospect knows they're getting unbiased feedback.

Show the value up front and build confidence by showing that you're an expert and not just a vendor looking to "sell another product." Doing so will also be a strong indicator of your account management practices.

Jeff & Alex...thoughts? (Obviously not looking to create a flood of vendor pitches - just a helpful suggestion for those considering it

You're right on the nail Eric. Offer and provide value, stats and real world case studies.

Build a relationship with the community. When you have great things to say..people will seek you out! It's the best form of advertising.

We have had to slap a few hands here and there but overall it's been working out. This community sees a sales pitch from a thousand miles and are often turned OFF by it no matter how great your product is.

Awesome post Eric :thumbup:

There is a marketer Jeff and I are heavily subscribed to by the name of Seth Godin. He hates spam and "breaking the conversation" in social media with an ad....an ad does not have to be the traditional graphic; it can be a posting by a vendor that is strictly done for solicitation purposes.

The world of sales is different today than it was yesterday folks. The consumer has spoken and you can no longer jump in their face with your sales pitch - you have to earn that right. You have to earn their attention. Everyone is different and every venue is different.

But, I think Eric has nailed how you do it on DealerRefresh.

Great stuff, I have always found the best way to generate interest in my services is by giving back with great authoritative information in blogs and forums. Never actually trying to sell anything is my most powerful selling tool. By answering peoples questions in area's I have knowledge in for free and with no strings attached makes it natural they will come to me when they are looking for a vendor... Trojan horse sales pitches automatically remove all credibility in responses even if it is a good answer. :) I am glad there is a topic on this because there is nothing I hate more than sites like *cough* cant say that every answer is a sales pitch....every blog post another sales pitch....yuck....

Awesome post Eric :thumbup:

There is a marketer Jeff and I are heavily subscribed to by the name of Seth Godin. He hates spam and "breaking the conversation" in social media with an ad....an ad does not have to be the traditional graphic; it can be a posting by a vendor that is strictly done for solicitation purposes.

The world of sales is different today than it was yesterday folks. The consumer has spoken and you can no longer jump in their face with your sales pitch - you have to earn that right. You have to earn their attention. Everyone is different and every venue is different.

But, I think Eric has nailed how you do it on DealerRefresh.

You know I kind of liked the Sham Wow type guys... but sales these days of almost everything seem to be more driven by reviews and references with the power of the Internet.

These are all great ideas. We vendors should be prepared to offer insight, advice and be ready to help dealer personell without having to resort to sales pitches. I like the approach of reaping what you sow. I try to offer my customers and prospects any help I can and that is what earns the business.

Great forum guys, keep up the good work.

Jay Traylor
Tracourt Systems, Inc.
www.tracourt.com
www.carleadsonline.com