• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Traffic Sources?

stevenc317

Peel'm off the Ceiling
Jun 18, 2010
First Name
Steven
Afternoon Guys,

I know I haven't been in the forums in awhile, but for the past few days I have had a question in my head and I am looking for some input.

My question is where does most of the incoming web traffic for car dealer sites come from? I did a quick study of some sites I had previously installed Google Analytics for and came up with some interesting numbers. But they were limited to just 68 sites that I had in my old (and previously forgotten about) Google Analytics account, too bad I hadn't thought of this 8 months ago as I could have added hundreds more, ohh well.

I have posted the numbers on my blog at: 67% of Web Traffic to Used Car Dealer Websites from Google!

But to save you from having to click over, here is the most import stuff from it.

Some of the numbers I found:

It looks like the vast majority of incoming traffic sent to the used car dealership sites we reviewed came from Google accounting for over 67% of all incoming web traffic, sending in 388,702 unique visitors. This was followed by:

• Yahoo at 10% (56,226 visitors),
  • Bing at 9% (53,374 visitors),
  • and Craigslist at 7% (42,796 visitors).
Collectively these free resources account for 93% of all incoming web traffic to these dealer’s websites.

Paid Classifieds

You will also notice that Autotrader and Cars.com, (both tied at 1% sending 6,269 and 7,144 unique visitors respectfully) sent very little traffic back to the dealership’s site. This is to be expected as these sites are not designed to direct traffic directly back to the dealerships website, rather they are designed to capture the lead from the prospective buyer and email that directly to the dealer. For this reason the numbers listed here for Autotrader and Cars.com are not a justifiable argument for their value.

This in stark comparison to CarsForSale.com, which does link back to the dealership’s website on every vehicle listing. They sent back only 135 total unique visitors to the dealer’s sites we reviewed during the 1 year review period. This accounted for less than .000161% of the total traffic counted, which is lower in performance than any of the free listing sites reviewed in this study.

The regional paid listings site of Dealers Lot Online also showed very respectful numbers for the Virginia area dealers, accounting for 1% of all incoming web traffic, sending 5,556 unique visitors.
Free Classifieds

In addition to traffic from Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Craigslist. There was also a significant amount of traffic from automotive listings sites that do not charge the dealer for inclusion. A few of these sites include:

• Oodle.com at 2% (9,956 unique visitors),
  • Facebook at <1% (2,498 unique visitors),
  • Findcars.com at <1% (1,529 unique visitors),
  • AutomotiveGuideOnline.com at <1% (1,469 unique visitors),
  • Ask.com at <1% (1,300),
  • Vast.com at <1% (791 unique visitors),
  • eBay at <1% (683 unique visitors),
  • iSeeCars.com at <1% (373 unique visitors),
  • and AOL Autos at <1% (153 unique visitors).
Adding the numbers up for these free resources approximately 95% of all web traffic to the dealerships reviewed came from free resources. The remainder of the traffic was split among the paid ‘premium’ listing services.

-----

What do you guys think? What are your sources of traffic? What has worked well for you? What hasn't?

thanks

Most of my traffic comes from Craigslist..

View attachment 402

If I were AutoTrader or Cars.com, I would be completely EMBARRASSED

em·bar·rassed/emˈbarəst/Adjective

1. Feeling or showing embarrassment.
2. Having or showing financial difficulties.

I can't think of a bigger signature of a SITE DESIGN FAIL than the pathetic referral traffic we all get from AT and Cars.com.

grrr....

The King Has No Clothes!!
emperor_has+no+clothes.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Looking at the numbers I have seen a large increase in Craigslist hits over the past 6 months. I haven't had the time to go back and recompile the numbers based upon the past 6 months only (instead of the 1 year), if I were I bet Craigslist would have a higher percentage.

...but why?

I worked for one of the big two and still spent some time on CL when helping my parents find a used car to replace one that was totaled. I can't for the life of me understand the draw to this classified site for an automotive shopper with the alternatives in the marketplace. The search and interface is archaic, there is little to protect the shopper from false representation and a host of other things that should make it less impactful, but there it is.

Is it the idea that customers tend to "Shop where they Sell?" Does listing an old coffee table for sale 3 months ago make CL the first place to look when I need a car? I think ATC still charges for an individual to list, but Cars has made a free listing available for private sellers presumably for this reason alone.

I'd be interested to hear what you think is causing shoppers to frequent a very difficult to search classified site that is rampant with less than credible offers, phishing scams and overposts.

Joe, how about this title for your blogpost: "The Emperor has no Clothes...and he got his underwear from the free section of Craigslist"

...but why?

I worked for one of the big two and still spent some time on CL when helping my parents find a used car to replace one that was totaled. I can't for the life of me understand the draw to this classified site for an automotive shopper with the alternatives in the marketplace. The search and interface is archaic, there is little to protect the shopper from false representation and a host of other things that should make it less impactful, but there it is.

Is it the idea that customers tend to "Shop where they Sell?" Does listing an old coffee table for sale 3 months ago make CL the first place to look when I need a car? I think ATC still charges for an individual to list, but Cars has made a free listing available for private sellers presumably for this reason alone.

I'd be interested to hear what you think is causing shoppers to frequent a very difficult to search classified site that is rampant with less than credible offers, phishing scams and overposts.

Joe, how about this title for your blogpost: "The Emperor has no Clothes...and he got his underwear from the free section of Craigslist"

People use Craigslist because it is simple, face to face dealings in your local area. It is self-policed and has very few requirments to post/buy. It's stripped down and raw, but that's what people want.

Before I acquired my current position at the dealership I work for, I would browse CL on a daily basis. I also ALMOST exclusively use CL to search for vehicles. ATC/Cars.com is my last resort behind CL, forums and eBay.