• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Tred.com Start-up...what are your thoughts?

CAORYAN

Boss
May 28, 2009
First Name
Ryan
I haven't been around as much anymore but I am curious.....what do you guys think of the start up "Tred.com". I actually love the idea and think its smart. I can see how some overly sensitive dealerships may get upset but for the average dealership I think they would be fine with it. Basically they offer a test drive experience by bringing the car to you (consumer) and the ability to use them as a fence for the purchase. Almost a broker type program. The dealer gets the deal but it consumes very little time on the behalf of the dealer. What are your concerns and what do you like?

I've seen 100's of these "start-up" come and go over the years. No matter, somebody still has to work with the dealership In order to acquire the vehicle. This caters to such a small percentage of the consumer population. Best of luck to them.

:iagree: and...

These guys continue to do their business models wrong. They try to appeal to the consumer first, yet, they're completely reliant on the dealer. I've seen a few of these too and always been surprised that they don't even consider going to the dealer to assist dealers in having unique value-added programs. Instead they try to brand themselves as this service that takes the "nasty dealer" out of car buying. The business would have more chance of success if they helped dealers deliver on tag lines like: "ABC Motors will bring the test drive to you!"

Tred might be a little different. I don't know much about them. However, $19 per test drive doesn't sound like a strong revenue model.... are they charging dealers for bringing them a lead? How much? I am curious to hear how they're working with the Seattle dealers.

I've had a chance to meeting with TRED and it is led by a smart operator with experience in the business. TRED is not trying to cut the dealer out of the deal - they are offering dealers a way to reach consumers who either value the independent concierge treatment and education or who are intimidated by the traditional dealership sales process and are sitting on the sidelines. While these groups aren't the majority of buyers they are likely to be some of the more profitable segments. Dealers who add new consumer experiences like TRED are likely to gain a competitive edge with these shoppers.

I am pretty interested in this concept. I agree with Alex in saying they need to make sure they partner with the dealer body, not stand between it and the customer. I think they will work with dealers that want to offer a special experience for their customers. I know here in Seattle there is defiantley a demographic that will be interested in this concept. ( Think working parents with 2 small kids for whom test driving cars is a nightmare. Much nicer if someone brings you a few cars you are interested in and you and your spouse can take turns driving and watching the kids, swapping cars seats etc)

I think a key for Tred will be how knowledgeable the people are at that bring the cars to shoppers are. If they can make it a painless, pleasant, higher quality experience than dealing with a middle of the road salesman at the dealership, they may be on to something.

I personally think it would be really interesting if they could act as an outsourced appraisal service...

Last edited: