• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

TrueCar using Zag Dealer Data to Create Value???

Ok so this post got me thinking and now I am thinking enough is enough and here is why.

Zag made a big push in 2009 presenting themselves as a vendor
with a new pricing model that was going to better for the industry. No monthly fee, no cost per lead, simply a cost per sale. Sounds fair? Simply set ZAG up with a login to your DMS so they can cross check for their customers and invoice you when there is a match. Simple enough right? Sounds fair right? Good deal right? Don’t worry about being charged for bogus leads. Don’t worry about inflated monthly rates. Ok, I’m interested.

Prior to signing up with Zag they provided me with a Quick Facts about Zag sheet and here is how they addressed this process:
“Zag = Sales Matching
In order to track sales, we connect to your sales records through your DMS system. The sales information is used solely for the purpose of sales matching and is handled with the highest level security.â€

O.k. so far so good. Well….let’s see….

I’ll say this; I have been a Zag dealer for the past few months and have had some success with the customers that they have brought through. I will also add that a number of these are certainly customers who would not have come our way without Zag. These are primarily membership customers who are willing to travel a distance, and in many cases out of state, to buy from a member dealer. But at what cost to the dealership and is worth it? The cost is this; we are paying ZAG and giving them daily access to our DMS so that they can gather their market data daily so that they can turn around and sell it back to us as different vendor for their own TrueCar pricing product. Is this worth it? Do I need to say that again? No nor do I want to. Do I feel good about this deal? No. Is Zag doing anything wrong? No it’s right there in the contract and here it is:

“Zag may use certain information related to the sale of vehicles sold by dealer and Zag reserves the right to use macro-level, aggregated data to evaluate performance and best practices with the primary objective of better understanding customer behavior, pricing trends and other statistical insights that may lead to an improved implementation of Zag and it’s affiliates’ products and services.â€

Does this sentence contradict their quick fact sheet? I'll let you be the judge.

So they had a plan and so far it’s working. But dealers can take control and turn away from this pricing model and turn away from vendors accessing our data in this fashion.

I am sending out my cancellation today. Will I loose customers? Will I loose deals? Yes but I can certainly utilize the resources that are going to Zag and use them as productively or even more so and that is the good thing about digital marketing. That good thing being the ability to tweak your spend, fine tune your lead mix and optimize your funnel to flow baby flow. That sounds like another post brewing’ …

A ZAG vendor referral came up thru the ranks here and I had to analyze and make the call on ZAG.

Wow, what an asset DR is!!!. I'd like to thank Dealer Refresh and the DR community for doing unto ZAG what TrueCars.com does to car dealers.

If only more car dealers knew what Zag is up to.

It's crazy isn't it?

And yet my Toyota dealer still doesn't see the light. They were on the program before I got here but I have stopped my Nissan dealer from going there. Save that money and place it into a much better performing ad source. Heck - take that money and increase your paid budget.

If you are going to allow Zag and TrueCar to pull your transactional data - then quick bitching about low grosses and how their's no money in new cars. Dealers wonder how these services have "all the information" meanwhile they are fueling the fire and don't even know it. Maybe it's just supposed to happen.

It's crazy isn't it?

And yet my Toyota dealer still doesn't see the light. They were on the program before I got here but I have stopped my Nissan dealer from going there. Save that money and place it into a much better performing ad source. Heck - take that money and increase your paid budget.

If you are going to allow Zag and TrueCar to pull your transactional data - then quick bitching about low grosses and how their's no money in new cars. Dealers wonder how these services have "all the information" meanwhile they are fueling the fire and don't even know it. Maybe it's just supposed to happen.

Lol, so last winter we were looking to get as many leads as possible. We have a great closing ratio for a store, but traffic problems (located in the middle of nowhere). So, we asked our regional office for some good lead providers, and they said ZAG is working great for other stores.

Long story short. We just dropped them because our regional office now declares ZAG is bad for business...

Gotta love this business!

But, if they are taking information about customer transactions without an agreement, something needs to be done.

TrueCar dealers - here is your allied, trusting company working for you once again...

What is Dealer Holdback? | TrueCar Blog

I saw that yesterday Jeff as I was sitting in one of the speaker session at the Va Auto Dealers Assoc convention, and looked to my right and there was the Zag rep with his shirt on. "Boot to da head" came to mind, but I kept my shoe on!

GM DEALER...CANCELLING ZAG

Greetings everybody....

I own a GM dealership in a metro area. Overall, we run a good store and have NEVER EVER had problems with honesty, lawyers, compliance, etc. We're over national CSI, and usually #1 or #2 in the state for our brand's volume.

ZAG has brought us to our knees. True, they don't "force" us to discount, but when they feature the "top 3" best prices, they know that us idiot dealers will fight each other to the death, like Gladiators in Rome just to be in that "top 3".

Transparency? ZAG? Excuse me, but via the INTERNET, dealer invoices, incentives, trade-in values and finance rates were handily available to customers. ALL manufacturers have internet selling systems, and their dealers respond to customers, and many times QUOTE PRICES and most of the time, those prices are nowhere close to sticker price!

ZAG is charging US DEALERS for the privilege of losing money.

In my store, staff for the 1st time is demoralized. Certainly we weren't selling for MSRP before ZAG but now, our margins are totally depressed. And if ZAG thinks that's a victory they are wrong....a dealer cross town from us has now ENDED free oil change and loaner programs for ZAG customers. Another dealer has made it a rule to truly try and "switch" ZAG customers to other vehicles and raise the price, and it's a RULE that a ZAG customer will be put thru the rigors....on his trade, finance, etc...it's like the 80's for a consumer...when it should be EASY for them now. Now, dealers are going to raise their DOC FEES also, it's a done deal, trust me...mine is going up $100 next month.

And if I sell a car for a NET LOSS...how can I provide the staff, facilities, and amenities a customer wants?

Let's see, the average car I sell is around $32,000. Pre-Zag, my average GROSS profit, including holdback and doc fees was around $2400.00. Considering all my overhead, my community participation, the jobs I provide, is an 8% gross profit so bad? Am I gouging? I think not.

My biggest competitor DROPPED ZAG 2 months ago. His 1st month, business dipped. But in that 1st month he diverted ZAG money to other advertising.

Last month, HE BEAT ME, even though I sold 6 ZAG deals. And guess what, his CSI score is up. His sales staff is again earning a living, vs begging for payroll advances during the ZAG days.

He proved to me that there is life after ZAG.

Why am I spending $6,000 + per month, just to get 6 deals that I'll LOSE MONEY, or make nothing on?

To boot, ZAG dictates that "manufacturer to dealer incentives be passed to the consumer". 1st off, we were doing that much of the time BEFORE ZAG. But why is that their business? Why doesn't ZAG pass along their hefty profits to customers also?

Folks, many of us dealers are women-of-ill-repute. We'll take cash in a back alley and ...well...you know, do our dirty duty. IT'S WRONG. Why are we risking our life savings in order to let a 3rd party dictate our business to us, AND charge us for it?

"Oh...but you'll get service business from the ZAG customers". Really? These cars don't need tune-ups, trans-services and 30k services anymore. So yeah, I'll make $5.00 on an oil change, and $10 on a wiper-blade maybe. BIG DEAL.

Within 30 days, I am OUT OF ZAG. I'm going back to more conventional advertising where I can at least note LOSE money on sales. I'll make a small profit, but my customers will continue to get personalized service, including loaner cars on demand, and a staff that's been here 10 years.

Dealers, WE ARE LETTING ZAG DESTROY US. At McDonald's, none of us can even get behind the counter whereas with ZAG, we've allowed them into our computer system!! Excuse me?

Every single day I stay in ZAG I am betraying my staff. I'm betraying my little baby daughter at home.

No more.

I'm ending ZAG. And yeah, if you're the dealer who gets my 6 units per month, god bless you. You'll make enough money to buy a movie ticket and many times, your customer will be from my neighborhood so I'll get his warranty work...if I decide to let him service his car here.

I welcome the transparency and honesty the internet has brought. I love new practices to save customers time and anguish. But...at my business nobody pays sticker price, unlike MOST businesses. I'm going back to earning an honest 8% profit.

You know what? With my 1st month's ZAG savings....I'm holding an extra bonus plan for my staff.

And in the end, I'll be back to making an honest 8%. And it'll be ME continuing to support the local homeless shelter at Christmas, it'll be ME supporting the local little leagues.

No more foreign invasion of my business.

Feels GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Those of you who remain in Zag, I congratulate you. You'll sell a few more cars than me.

But you are not your own business owner.

I am.

Reactions: 1 person