• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Twitter is a waste of time, right?

Fun DealerRefresh video:

2 salesmen are given a DIFFICULT sales challenge, we see them both working side by side via split-screen:

Rep #1). Sell a car to someone in the twitter-universe
Rep #2). Sell a car to someone at the bus stop

Selling Cars For Less1.jpg

It sure would be entertaining to watch them both working in different worlds...
Who do you think would win?
How many days/weeks/months till a sale?

Degree of difficulty = HIGH
Skills Required = TOTALLY DIFFERENT
Sales Frustrations = YES.
Effort Required for a Win = HIGH.

Joe Webb & Bill Playford would kill it!

Guys I don't post here much but this one caught my eye. While there is no argument that Twitter can sell cars and it's certainly better than salespeople sitting around waiting for floor traffic, I have yet to see that the ROI on this is worth while, especially when you include the amount of time required. Seems to me kind of like fishing, and even if the fish are there are they biting? You can spend a lot of time doing this but how many fish do you really catch in a day?

This really has to be looked at in the scope of all sales department activities. Give me an automated program that identifies these tweets as leads, then give them to the Sales or BDC crew to work, I could see it. It becomes another tool to generate leads. To have people sitting on twitter "fishing" for a lead, I don't think so. If that were their only way to get leads and sell cars I suspect they would starve.

I should add... what I am saying here does not include the concept of developing a "following" on twitter, thereby estabilishing themselves as the go to person for cars sales within their twitter followers. However my question remains, has anyone actually done this... where is the ROI?
HJM

Fun DealerRefresh video:

2 salesmen are given a DIFFICULT sales challenge, we see them both working side by side via split-screen:

Rep #1). Sell a car to someone in the twitter-universe
Rep #2). Sell a car to someone at the bus stop

View attachment 1614

Hmmm... I'd put my money on a Kelly Wilson or Megan Barto to land a Twitter deal well before any salesperson you could get to waste a day at a bus stop hoping for a sale.

1.) Mass transit likely means lots of interest but no financial means, or lots of financial means, but no interest.

2.) This doesn't have to be an insomnia inducing effort! There is definitely some hand-raising going on and technological assets to be deployed! I searched a bland term "Car Shopping" a minute ago. Wow! Look at what is going on here compared to a bus stop...
Bus stop= head down, headphones up!
Twitter= "I'm happy to give strangers WAY too much information."

It excites the online marketer in me and absolutely petrifies the father ;) Either way, you won't likely hear any of this from a stranger at a bus stop to know that you need to hand them a card:

car shopping 1.JPG
car shopping 2.JPG

Now, add in several more targeted and automated search queries, geo-targeting to search only within 25 miles of the dealership, and either of these ladies with gigantically engaging digital personalities and I assure you I took your money if you're backing that salesperson that thinks he's closing a deal by handing 100's of business cards to complete strangers that likely aren't even in market.

Reactions: 1 person