• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Twitter "newspapers" - anyone tried this yet?

this new widget is a great way to promote content of your own and others but you need to have the right followers and they have to see it - Twitter has that drawback if you are not logged in you miss things
Welcome to DealerRefresh Frank! For those that don't know, Frank is a true pioneer and thought-leader in Search Engine Marketing. He's a frequent contributor to a number of SEO/SEM forums and blogs. Here's a link to his bio on SearchEngineWatch.

I agree that limiting promotion of your paper.li 'newspaper' to just twitter doesn't make sense. The half-life a tweet is measured in seconds, not days. So I also link to it on my Facebook and LinkedIn pages.

Just because the content is generated by a twitter list I curate doesn't mean that it needs to be limited to twitter followers.

Yes, welcome aboard Frank. The more experts the merrier we are here on DealerRefresh. :)

I would love paper.li to accept RSS feeds.

I have been trying to mess around with paper.li to display inventory and such - just messing around really but thought if I could get it to work, I could do a few things with it from a marketing side. Especially if I use Yahoo pipes to combine a few feeds together. ( Doing this might fix the issue all together, but I haven't got to that point yet)

Maybe someone can help me because I can't seem to figure out it.

So in order to do what I want to do with paper.li..

1. RSS Feed of my Inventory - Check Frederick Nissan Used Inventory RSS 2.0 Feed
2. Pipe this RSS feed into a service like twitterfeed or feedburner - check (using feedburner)
3. Set up a twitter account for this feed - check frederickcars (frederickcars) on Twitter
4. Set up your paper.li account to sync with this twitter account - check The Frederick, MD Car Post

Problem is - all the links in the twitter feed land on the homepage rather the specific vehicle. However in the rss feed they link out just fine.

From what I have found, it's possible that the rss feed is missing a link script of some sort.

Any ideas from anyone?

Yes, welcome aboard Frank. The more experts the merrier we are here on DealerRefresh. :)

I would love paper.li to accept RSS feeds.

I have been trying to mess around with paper.li to display inventory and such - just messing around really but thought if I could get it to work, I could do a few things with it from a marketing side. Especially if I use Yahoo pipes to combine a few feeds together. ( Doing this might fix the issue all together, but I haven't got to that point yet)

Maybe someone can help me because I can't seem to figure out it.

So in order to do what I want to do with paper.li..

1. RSS Feed of my Inventory - Check Frederick Nissan Used Inventory RSS 2.0 Feed
2. Pipe this RSS feed into a service like twitterfeed or feedburner - check (using feedburner)
3. Set up a twitter account for this feed - check frederickcars (frederickcars) on Twitter
4. Set up your paper.li account to sync with this twitter account - check The Frederick, MD Car Post

Problem is - all the links in the twitter feed land on the homepage rather the specific vehicle. However in the rss feed they link out just fine.

From what I have found, it's possible that the rss feed is missing a link script of some sort.

Any ideas from anyone?
Jeff, It looks your problem is occurring in the feedburner step - converting the RSS feed to tweets. The URLs in the RSS feed resolve to a deep inventory page for that car. But by the time they show on twitter the goo.gl shortened links all resolve back to your home page. I think because, while there are a number of individual links, since they all resolve to your homepage that's the reason why your paper only has one 'story'.

I'd try twitterfeed and maybe a different URL shortener and see if that helps.

I assume you intend on more than just inventory in your paper. I can't imagine many folks would read a paper with just inventory listings.

Interesting concept.. how about having the car feed set in to a wordpress blog - each car gets its own page - then set the wordpress to tweet each entry - have the paper then grab last ten posts of the blog but since it resolves to the blog there would be all the cars for them to look at

would make the twitter account but not follow anyone with it - rather use the regular account that follows it

am a little sleepy so could be missing steps