• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Twitter

My philosophy has always been to be everywhere that the customers are. The question you have to ask is what do you plan on doing on Twitter? If you have a marketing plan (that doesn't include connecting your inventory feed to Twitter), then yes, Twitter can be used for a great many things including monitoring and responding to any customers that may tweet about your dealership.

As for your Facebook concerns on getting "Liked", I wouldn't worry about it. Implement all of your social media efforts into your existing marketing and at your dealership. Your customers will connect, if they want to. You'll get far better results from your marketing if the people who "like" your Facebook page and/or follow you on Twitter are your actual customers and want to see your message. My only caveat to this is to make sure you deliver a message that your followers want to hear, not only ones that you want to tell them. It's much harder to get a customer re-paying attention after you've lost the attention they gave you.

How many of you would follow/friend a carpet store?
How many of you would follow/friend a real estate agent?
How many of you would follow/friend a Pharmacy?

I'll answer it for you. NONE.

But... for a big ticket purchase like real estate, or a home builder, or a landscaper, it's logical that some shoppers would visit the seller's FB page. Shoppers would hope to see a warm and fuzzy place that helps put them at ease. These shoppers are checking your reputation and your stores culture. They will be super stealth (invisible).

Twitter, OTOH, is a different beast. It's content is short lived. You need a large market, the right franchise(s) to make this work.

If you're getting frustrated now, sorry, more of it's coming.

Last edited:
Juls,

Your team at Palmetto Nissan is pointing its attention in the wrong direction.

#1). Take over your Google Places Page Palmetto Nissan ASAP

#2). Work on your Dealer Review Process.

Juls, Look at your teams reviews on Google Places. Everytime someone wants your phone number BAM! There it is Palmetto Nissan. Ouch. You can FB and tweet but if your reviews blow... shoppers QUIETLY will go elsewhere.

Recommended reading:
You got a STD? (Social Trusting Disease)
http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f43/there-egg-your-facebook-1536.html

p.s. Brian Pasch, this connects to our email discussions. This is a great example of internet marketing efforts in need of a digital marketing strategist (consultant) for the GM/Dealer Principal.

Last edited:
I gotta agree with Uncle Joe (I usually do) Work on the actual customer experience, then people will like you and write reviews. Build up the good reviews then let your people share those experiences with their networks who will hopefully "like" them and want to explore your Dealership and what you offer.

My opinion is although Social Media is becoming less and less of a "luxury option" without a solid foundation all you're going to do is expose those shortcomings to a larger audience.

Sorry to jump on Uncle Joe's bad news bandwagon, but we keeps it real on Refresh.

I've liked or befriended most of the business in my small town, and many in nearby Chattanooga--including my car dealer. I used Twitter for about a year, and lost interest. Still, Twitter is still a viable channel--but I wouldn't waste too much time on it outside of monitoring feedback and mentions.

I agree with Joe that you need spend some more energy on the search results aspects before delving too deep into SM.

Building a following takes time and innovation. Don't give up.