• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

UI and UX - dealer sites 2.0

Carsten

Boss
Jan 7, 2024
Awards
First Name
Carsten
UI is NOT UX, the UI is one tool in the UX designer's giant toolset.

Great design is hard work. It's a blend of science and art.
Shopping is a task, car shoppers have a job to do. Agreed? Great design obsesses about task completion (i.e. yield). When you're studying any UI you must fully embrace the users 'job to be done' (aka UX). Tasks have a beginning and an end, The UI 'should' create a path that intuitively aligns with the task to be done. In this path are choices. steps or stages. UX designers get paid to find friction in the workflow, then design new UI's to assist the shopper to go deeper into task completion.

This is why digital automotive is so far behind other digital spaces. The designers have never worked in a dealership, they ALL have access to reams of dealer's leads, call recordings, chat transcripts and they all defer to their 'feelings'.

Lets say you were creating a digital UX for a hospital and you've been tasked to improve the ROI of a flawed site. How mission critical is 'white space'? Will a Design makeover help? Yes, but the site UX is still flawed, so the impact to ROI is tiny. If the designer has never worked at a hospital, they have a looong road ahead of them.

(UI = User Interface • UX = User Experience)

I pulled this from another thread because I thought this deserves it's own thread and not to derail that topic with a massive tangent.

There is a lot here to unpack! I love it!

1. what is the number 1 priority for a dealer website? Provide information, ecommerce (shopping cart occurs when you walk on the lot), advertising?
2. what is your market? BHPH, used cars, a name brand dealer, or a salon boutique for Bugatti?
3. which type of buyer are you targeting? Visual, Audio, or Kinetic? (think of these as: that looks hot! That growl is way cool? Dang, this ride is coomfy)
4. are you making the transaction on the site or do you want them to show up?
5. I think there has been a seismic shift in how shoppers shop. Do shoppers come from the brand loyalty or the did they find the car they think they want?
6. are you focused on a particular segment of society or not? Are they motivated by the UI or UX or just the product?

I am here to learn and share my thoughts. (trying to be community member ... but more likely the relative you didn't want to invite -- haha!)
So, I'm wondering if the data (recordings, chats, and such) can help really help the 6 issues I listed.
I'm a big fan of good statistics and not ones that can guide the participant down a certain path. Think reviews and how 100 of my relatives could give me a 4.4 star rating which would be the bad statistics here.

I don't like the chat boxes on mobile because they block 20-40% of my screen and are extremely annoying.
Am I exception to the statistics or are the statistics showing just user interaction and thus proving how good they are but is the experience that good?
Is this good enough because you got a lead?

Are developers who haven't stood on a show room floor that useless? Couldn't they have vast array of experience with ecommerce that could help dealers get to that 2.0 and the next stage?

So, What do you think is necessary in a web site that would make this whole industry next gen?

1. what is the number 1 priority for a dealer website? Provide information, ecommerce (shopping cart occurs when you walk on the lot), advertising?
From Uncle Joe's :unclejoe:POV, you young whipper snappers fall in love with widgets and white space. Please drop everything and deeply become the shopper, and then, deeply become the seller.

That being said... #1 is to craft a UX where the shopper has an experience so compelling that they want to return to your site (i.e. track NVRR (New Visitor Return Rate) and more stats that reveal 'satisfaction')

which type of buyer are you targeting? Visual, Audio, or Kinetic?
I see shoppers differently. I use Dr Christenson's "Jobs to be Done" model. This graph explains my design strategy.
1711809470313.png

OUR WEBSITES SUCK. (see where are here)
I used this map to explain to the Cox empire why DR was going to fail.​

Important: Shoppers come in a wide spectrum of "internet task expectations". My wife has no desire to 'go down the internet rabbit hole' to find a car. My brother car shops with spreadsheets and 10 open tabs (most demanding user). This chart is limited to the vendor side only. The dealer's voice and workflow has to come into the UI to improve shopper's satisfaction.

are you making the transaction on the site or do you want them to show up?
1). See chart above "we are here".
2) Walk-in sales out number leads, and, almost all walkins were on your site prior to purchase.
1711811298166.png
Carsten, Carvana is a roofless dealership, it is supposed to be the Amazon of Auto. It would DIE without it's call center. Stop and think about that. No, I mean stop and deeply think about that. Its sooo revealing.

I think there has been a seismic shift in how shoppers shop.
Shoppers HATE friction. Carvana has mastered this.
  • Product selection (wide & deep)
  • Merchandising, best of breed
  • Risk Transfer to seller (i.e. money back)
  • Call Center Army. best of breed with the best tools to support reps..
  • Big appetite for paper
Carvana's RESULT: "Our GPU was $6,185"
-CVNA's CFO.
(Our young and impulsive buyers are not too bright)

Are developers who haven't stood on a show room floor that useless? Couldn't they have vast array of experience with ecommerce that could help dealers get to that 2.0 and the next stage?
Carsten, brilliant devs NEED a tight feedback loop (in every industry). Auto has no shopping cart, therefor Devs who DO NOT sit inside a store can't "build to serve the workflow, then watch it all work, and iterate as needed".

Dealers have bullied vendors into "I want MORE leads" and nothing else matters. If you sat on the sales floor, you'd quickly see that optimizing the site for lead gen is lunacy.

Who are leaders in Innovation?
Watch CarMax and Carvana. Their dev teams are hard wired into operations AND they have no 'compliance nazi's' to satisfy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Singo
which type of buyer are you targeting? Visual, Audio, or Kinetic?

It looks like I might need to expand on this.

These 3 senses are based on NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programing). People use different sense to remember things and how they communicate. For example if a personal has a high pitched fast pace talking style they could be visual. A slower deep tone could signal a "feeling" kinetic person and those in the middle would be Audio.

The smell of certain donuts trigger memories of my grand dad.

This would tend to associate learning styles should consider these 3 types of people.

Sales should consider this too.
I like a visually pleasing cars.
My wife likes those that are comfortable and seem luxurious.
A friend loves the sound of them.|

Another way to consider is this:
I see what you're saying.
I hear you.
I get that.
If you ask people what is the difference they'd likely say these are all the same. We don't notice it because you don't really consider the verb difference.

The Challenger I had filled all 3 for me. I love the styling, it had an after market muffler. To top it off, it was slightly lowered and I could feel how the back end just pushed it around. Watching Cobra Kai, made the show better because I could feel and see the city driving scene.

In review, I think this also relates to websites and how developers / copy writers / designers don't think about this because many are not even aware of the NLP aspects.

@Carsten ,
I appreciate your insights on NLP and I'm intrigued by the potential applications to automotive websites. To further this discussion, I think it would be valuable to explore some concrete examples.

Could you share a few specific ideas of how NLP principles could be applied to automotive websites to achieve the following goals:

1) Increase engagement and create stronger emotional connections with car shoppers. For example, how specifically one could use NLP communication styles to draw shoppers in and get them excited about vehicles?​
2) Facilitate task completion for the key "jobs to be done" in the car buying process. How could NLP be used in the site copy, CTAs, navigation, etc. to intuitively guide shoppers and make it easy to complete steps like comparing models, getting financing, valuing trade-ins, or scheduling a test drive?​

I'm particularly interested in #2, as helping customers efficiently complete their core tasks is my primary focus. But I'm sure there are opportunities to use NLP for both engagement and task completion that I haven't thought of.

If you could provide a few examples of each, I think it would help me better understand your vision for incorporating NLP and spark some good ideas to build on. I'm excited to see what you come up with!

NLP works a lot with the 3 of the 5 senses. sight, sound, touch. smell and taste are more like memory triggers.

This is hard part is that you don't know who is coming to the site.
This is why I started this original conversation with questions about the market that dealers wanted to target.
However, I'd say the biggest factor is sales team. IF they can start targeting the type of customer they can make adjustments to how they talk to the customer and increase the sales percentage.

"I like you because you are like me. " is the idea here.

If the customer says, "I'm looking for XYZ". It could mean they are very visual. Their choice of cars could also be easy to spot just by what they came in to look for. If they are the hippy side, I wonder if a Subaru is their choice. Dress sharply, BMW, Caddy? The cowboy boots will probably be a Raptor. so many clues to spot before even saying hi.

As the police will say, watch their eyes.
Moving towards the top while thinking? visual - sports car
side ? audio - sedan
to the bottom? kynetics, something comfy

Same for selling warranty.
we take care of the dings, and broken windows.
we take care of the electronics, and transmission
we take care of the drive train, and seat belts.

But, you also need to consider the math people over the family ones. Some will want to know the long term costs and potential percentage of a 80k car breaking down in 3 years and what to expect. Others will be more concerned that they warranty will have their backs.

I keep thinking of zoom, zoom. Who did Mazda target? Mercedes changed their advertising and I see lots of women buying their cars now. Subarus? Ford trucks? it's like the OEM has a clear market in mind when designing their vehicles and their marketing.

For websites:

Mazada for example, here's what I would do.
Bold flashy colors, put performance, manual transmission, rear wheel drive, bluetooth and infotainment sound quality front and center.
They aren't selling Buicks. They are selling zoom zoom to younger crowd who wants to go zoom zoom so all the language would be fun and popping.

Dodge boys have more ... fun!
Yes, they do! Until they put that electric muscle car up on ads and now those boys are not having so much fun. Not sure what they are doing anymore.

personally,

I'm fighting hard against my preferences in for a vehicle while working on my platform. The VDP card is simpler, I want the customer to click into the VDP. I'm also trying to come up with the right mixture of options to feature. I'm going for a very generic look. something neutral.

so for your question 1:
in summary, speak to them on their level. Find out their primary sense that they use and appeal to that.

question 2:
In summary, this really depends on the market you are going after. Are you Mazda or Buick? Is your profit in sales or repairs? New or Used?

Most advertising goes after the visual group which is the largest but it's knowing which type of person you are working with that closes the deal smoothly.

I ask:
For example, how specifically one could use NLP communication styles to draw shoppers in and get them excited about vehicles?

You reply:
for your question 1:
in summary, speak to them on their level. Find out their primary sense that they use and appeal to that.

Carsten, I dont understand this: "Find out their primary sense that they use and appeal to that"
How do I or anyone else turn thata into action into something tangible? I believe NLP concept fails for web design, but I LOVE to be wrong (it opens new doors). I am 1000% ready to see an example, a mock, something tangible.

Reactions: gavin.bannerinsite
In summary, this really depends on the market you are going after. Are you Mazda or Buick? Is your profit in sales or repairs? New or Used?

Carsten, you gotta sit inside a store for a few hundred hours. The franchised dealership is a multi-department organization. They all interconnect, and, haha they all "eat others young" (car ppl will get that).

And... yes there are some stores that tilt their priorities into one dept over the other, but, the GM knows all depts are interconnected.

A customers feedback on crappy dealer websites should not be something dealerships/ website providers turn their nose to. Sadly, this is the case.

The online shopper experience should be at the forefront of any digital conversation. Websites are not only NOT tailored to a positive customer experience, but it's almost like they ignore every complaint ever made by the mass majority of online shoppers and keep driving their plan straight into no mans land.

Reactions: Carsten
@joe.pistell

I get that the stores are a multi-department organization. Corporations are the same. One unit will eat another if they can just to ensure job security.

How to use NLP?

The sales people should be trained in this. It will improve their close ratio.

The website needs to be tailored to who the shop wants to target. OEM is different than Used car dealers and is different than BHPH dealers. The message is tailored and so is the design.

I see so many dealer websites that women just don't like. So, I have heard they just go into the dealer.

I used Buick ... I'm generalizing here but from the customers, it's an older crowd and many are not technical although they can manage FB and texts.

The other example, I used is Mazada. I come across a lot of fathers who buy these cars for their daughters and I know a lot of guys who go for the sportiness over a camry.

So, this ads up to how the VDP card is designed, the colors of the site, the technology level, the amount of AI/Chatbot assistance and such.

This is not just limited to the web, ads, tv commercials ... it all relates in the message and how you trigger the emotions in a person.

Like I said, the "zoom zoom" or "Dodge boys have more fun" doesn't resonate with all people. These target a certain response and some people just "don't see it", "don't get it" or "don't hear the message". These 3 are examples of NLP saying the same thing but people use a different sense to express this.

Ever notice how people talk about Mickey Mouse not having a personality? This is on purpose. He can't so that he can appeal to the largest audience.

Hmm, maybe we should pick a dealer website and critique it? I can probably give a better example of this in action.