• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Upselling in the service lane

Ahh, yes. The typical Mercedes C-Class owner. Especially when Mercedes has a solid lease. We would get a flood of Honda Accord buyers leasing C-Class Sports and then become irate when they needed to replace the sport tires at 30K miles or pay $120.00 for an oil change (even though it was ever 10-15K miles).

Pay to play!!

That is too funny, my colleague who used to work at Mercedes Palm Beach said the exact same thing...."its just like the "C" class customers".

The secret to generating multi line CP Ro's is in the appointment setting. It is difficult to upsell in the lane for multiple reasons, the biggest being that the customer has a set expectation of how much time they have committed to their appointment, the upsell costs them money and time, and they will usually be low on one.

Using coupons to generate leads is great, dont be put off by not getting them on that visit, but ensure that the department has a method to upsell them on their next appointment. If you do your research you will find many solutions targetted at upsell on both inbound and outbound appointment setting.

I don't make a habit of publicly recommending solution providers, but if anyone would like to ask me about my personal experiences I would be happy to share my opinions on the providers i have used.

Reactions: 1 person
Up-Selling in my opinion is all about presentation, expectation...
While your techs are draining the oil on the lift, they do a walk around and if done in a short amount of time, your service consultant can recommend these services to the customer before they have been waiting too long. so an extra 30 min is no problem. But when a customer has been waiting for 45 min for a 30 min service and your come back with a 45 min service recommendation, they do not want to wait.

There are several ways to present to a customer that has strategy..
Start with what you could do, then show them what they should do, then end by showing them what they need to do.
They will of course say no to the could and should, but the "need" they need so they feel like they turned some down and got what was important.

Moe Meyer
Automotive Lean Systems
Business Development
Automotive LS