• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Used car sales will "normalize" in 2026

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
From today's ASOTU email newsletter:

• Used car prices are back up from a drop late in 2022.
  • Cox Automotive estimates total used car sales will not reach pre-pandemic levels until 2026.
  • Through mid-March, prices of used cars at auction increased by 8.8%. Used inventory levels are down 21% from a year ago and 26% from 2019.
  • Another interesting datum is a 20% jump in leaseholders deciding to buy their vehicle at the end of their lease period. From 2019-2022, the residual value of vehicles compared to increasing prices and interest rates made buying the vehicles significantly cheaper than leasing a new one.
  • In December 2022, Cox forecasted used car prices ending 2023 4.3% lower than 2022 and has not adjusted that forecast. Yet.

From today's ASOTU email newsletter:

• Another interesting datum is a 20% jump in leaseholders deciding to buy their vehicle at the end of their lease period. From 2019-2022, the residual value of vehicles compared to increasing prices and interest rates made buying the vehicles significantly cheaper than leasing a new one.

I'm hoping the programs/rates stick or get better :rofl: around this time next year, when I need to decide if I'm going to buy out the lease on my Tacoma.