• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Using eBay for more than just wholesale

Dan's replies in our meeting have left me puzzled, while I was taking notes on our meeting and he said:

"..it's not about money..." and "...You can't dispute Texas Direct's #'s.."

Ahhh... what a shame, thought I had a talented one there... next. :yawn:

I sold vehicles as an independent for years on eBay, and there is good money to be made. A lot of dealers wholesale prime inventory that would bring them another 1500 to 2500 on eBay if not more. There are several different things that need to be considered when selling on eBay. First you need a great eBay account with at least 100 feedback and a power seller status doesn't hurt either. I have seen too many dealers try to start with one feedback and wonder why they didn't do well with it. Reputation is a big part of eBay. Second you have to have a great presentation with 40 plus pictures, and a detailed description of the vehicle. The smallest detail that is overlooked can cause a negative feedback. I have done consulting for dealers and set up eBay departments that have been very successful. They key is first we develop the feedback selling a large volume of items. It can be parts that have been sitting in the dealers parts inventory for years, or anything else you can sell quickly. Also the dealer can buy a bunch of cheap items from different sellers. It is a small price to pay to get your feedback score built. Selling is better, but getting the number up there is a first step. If you really want to do it right, it needs to be set up as a separate department, with dedicated staff. Policies and procedures need to be developed concerning taxes, shipping, accounting, and finance. It is very difficult to use standard dealership policy to sell on eBay. Feedback is always the first priority and should be kept at 100% at all costs. Everything moves fast, and having the right person to manage it makes all the difference. The person you select should have a used car background (used car manager/assistant manager). They should also be able to do all the paperwork that your finance manager does, and be considered a finance manager/assistant. Because a lot of deals are out of state the finance office personnel soon develop a bad attitude if the eBay deals start effecting their pay. Once you have your feedback in place, and the right person in place with a lot of thought and written department policy and procedures you are ready to really start selling. One of the accounts I set up on eBay (eBay ID: fermanwholesale) has one person doing it all, and they sell 12 to 18 cars a month. Another good eBay ID to check out is a local wholesaler I know that sells 20 to 25 units a month (stingraysinc). Even if you only sell 10 extra units a month, that is still 120 extra units a year! It takes some time to do it right, and it cannot be managed as just another advertising source to be effective. An effective write up just for the eBay listing is a must. If you just try and upload your inventory without tailoring your presentation to the eBay audience, you will not get the results that offer a good return on investment.

Last edited:
Joe,

I'm 45yrs old and have fallen a few times. Whether you want to call them failures depends on your definition and attitude about life. eBay is effective, if you know what your doing. Sorry to contradict your gut feeling. Should we meet at the White House for beer ?

hahaha... Did you say Beer! I'm IN!!

oh oh... I just read this, You write:

"...eBay is effective, if you know what your doing. Sorry to contradict your gut feeling...."

Geez Dan, You just can't help yourself. You have told me that you're superior. I am sorry Dan, I'm gonna call you out.

Woops...
Before I flame this noob:flame:, I'll ask my peers!! I should leave him be, or call him out?

:thumbup: or :thumbdn:

Time to change the subject.

I dug out some old ebay persentations I built from 2001 to 2007. Some are really cool and others are "what was I thinking?"

I sold a ton of Conversion Vans into Russia and Europe. We peaked at about 100 in 2005 before GM put out the warning letter. Oh what a party that was. Here is a really cool ebay presentation that I built, it's a lil' crude, but back in the day it was 'da bomb.

Direct TV van grey

Ck out the AWESOME flash movie my assistant and I built. 3rd pic down under,
Direct TV Satellite System!!
Click that remote control! Click it! hahaha... love it!