• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Using eBay for more than just wholesale

Matt, I really like the CarFax idea. There are a number of ways you can spruce up your auctions. CarFax is a big bonus to buyers. I think it's even a more effective tool when buyers don't have to ask for it. I like the number of pics too. I've seen dealerships post 3-5 pics of a vehicle that they shot right there in line with rest of the cars.
A lot of people disagree with me on the Buy-it-now thing. I just never really had much luck with it. I know the "best offer" addition generates slightly more leads but it's too easy to turn a tire kicker, (bottom feeder), into a sale. It did get monotonous dealing with them some times.With a buy-it-now you miss out on getting people wrapped up in the auction process. I don't know how many times I've seen an item sell on eBay for much more than the same item in another, similar auction just because people were wrapped up bidding on that item. Either bidder could have purchased the same thing for less. You can't really quantify the "auction effect" but it is certainly there. And it's very important especially at an auction, (eBay).
The 7-10 day auctions can be stopped at anytime in lieu of a local sale, (non-eBay member) or the auction format can be changed to a buy-it-now for the sole reason of a pre-arranged eBay member sale. 45 days seems a little long, I never intended to have a car that long, (not that it didn't happen but I never intended to). With the 45 days and the buy-it-now/best offer, it seems a lot like eBay Local, AT, Cars.com etc. And with eBay recently lowering there insertion fees its fairly inexpensive to run an actual auction and be able to attract eBay as well as non eBay members. I do see the seo value of a 45 day auction though.