1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Manufacturer Digital Marketing Services?

Discussion in 'I'm Angry and Need to GRIPE!' started by Brent Durham, May 21, 2015.

This forum sponsored by...
?

Are you using a Manufacturer Digital Marketing Service and #1 in your market?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Brent Durham

Brent Durham
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Brent
    Dealer or Company Name:
    iFrog Digital Marketing
    Something that I never paid attention to until working with new clients, is the number of dealers that solely use manufacturer marketing services. Using a manufacturer's service is better than nothing but when all of your competition in your DMA is using the same service, wouldn't it be time to look for something different to stand out? I scoped out competition in a certain metro market and every single website looked exactly the same, paid search exactly the same, social posts..... the same. When will manufacture marketing programs allow for more customizable options? Personally, I am not complaining because it helps my company easily take market share. But when Manufacturers require that their dealers participate in their cookie-cutter marketing strategies, aren't they just asking their competition to conquest their market share?

2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. craigh

craigh
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

First Name:
    Craig
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Vicimus Inc
    Twitter Handle:
    craighooghiem
    Yes.

That said, some of the top selling dealerships in my area have the worst websites and digital strategies.
    Example: Barrie Ford - http://www.barrieford.com/
    I don't think their website can get much slower or worse, but they outsell everyone and nobody is eating their lunch today.

There's no "instant winner" in any of this (that I have found yet).
    So the answer is, "Yes, using the same program as your competitors is bad" but "No, I don't think that changing will immediately give you your competitors market".

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    • Like Like x 2
  4. skutchhenks

skutchhenks
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Skutch
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Skutch Henks Training LLC
    I agree. Yeah the barrieford.com site is bad (did I just see flash?) compared to what most of us here believe a "Great Website" to be. But in the car dealer business, largest inventory, solid operations, and a great reputation will hands down beat any killer website or marketing strategy anywhere in the country. There are too many offline factors that matter much more than just great digital marketing alone.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    There's no competitive advantage in using OEM managed digital marketing services.

The OEM wants to sell as many cars as possible. Granted, that does help a dealer's cause, but your competition is also benefiting from it. Especially in urban areas where you competitors are likely to be in closer proximity. I don't think they give a shit if you conquest a competitor's new car customers. It's all the same to them.

#4 Alexander Lau, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
  6. Walter Hank

Walter Hank
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Walter