• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Using Manufacturer Digital Marketing Services?

May 4, 2015
First Name
Brent
Something that I never paid attention to until working with new clients, is the number of dealers that solely use manufacturer marketing services. Using a manufacturer's service is better than nothing but when all of your competition in your DMA is using the same service, wouldn't it be time to look for something different to stand out? I scoped out competition in a certain metro market and every single website looked exactly the same, paid search exactly the same, social posts..... the same. When will manufacture marketing programs allow for more customizable options? Personally, I am not complaining because it helps my company easily take market share. But when Manufacturers require that their dealers participate in their cookie-cutter marketing strategies, aren't they just asking their competition to conquest their market share?

But when Manufacturers require that their dealers participate in their cookie-cutter marketing strategies, aren't they just asking their competition to conquest their market share?

Yes.

That said, some of the top selling dealerships in my area have the worst websites and digital strategies.
Example: Barrie Ford - http://www.barrieford.com/
I don't think their website can get much slower or worse, but they outsell everyone and nobody is eating their lunch today.

There's no "instant winner" in any of this (that I have found yet).
So the answer is, "Yes, using the same program as your competitors is bad" but "No, I don't think that changing will immediately give you your competitors market".

Yes.

That said, some of the top selling dealerships in my area have the worst websites and digital strategies.
Example: Barrie Ford - http://www.barrieford.com/
I don't think their website can get much slower or worse, but they outsell everyone and nobody is eating their lunch today.

There's no "instant winner" in any of this (that I have found yet).
So the answer is, "Yes, using the same program as your competitors is bad" but "No, I don't think that changing will immediately give you your competitors market".

I agree. Yeah the barrieford.com site is bad (did I just see flash?) compared to what most of us here believe a "Great Website" to be. But in the car dealer business, largest inventory, solid operations, and a great reputation will hands down beat any killer website or marketing strategy anywhere in the country. There are too many offline factors that matter much more than just great digital marketing alone.

There's no competitive advantage in using OEM managed digital marketing services.

The OEM wants to sell as many cars as possible. Granted, that does help a dealer's cause, but your competition is also benefiting from it. Especially in urban areas where you competitors are likely to be in closer proximity. I don't think they give a shit if you conquest a competitor's new car customers. It's all the same to them.

Last edited: