• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Using two trade-in value applications on the same dealer website?

Feb 21, 2011
First Name
Jonathon
We have been using GetAutoAppraise as a trade-in value application on Barnes Crossing Hyundai for quite some time now. As of recently they have chosen to try out Autotrader.com's new Trade-in Marketplace as well but don't necessarily want to cancel the NADA (GetAutoAppraise) application.

My idea was to create this page (see screenshot below) and give visitors and would-be car shoppers the option of using the application of their choice. If not both.

Trade-in Evaluation Applications - Used Cars - Barnes Crossing Hyundai.jpg

My question is this... Does anybody for-see any issues with doing this from a dealer standpoint? I am sure the values drawn from both would not be the same and could greatly differ so each customer would have to be educated on these differences as they could bring up a lot of questions, which is what selling is all about right?

I am also not sure if this makes sense from a cost standpoint as now the dealer is paying for two applications.. But I feel that it would be worth it if we can squeeze an overall greater number of leads by giving the consumer another trusted option to use.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 person
Although the two appraisal tools will likely give similar values, they will inherently offer different amounts. Customers will obviously choose the higher value and expect trade in values above the lower amount. It seems like a can of worms that isn't a benefit to you or the customer. I would go with one or the other.

Jonathan,

Curious - it's been a few months since you posted this and I see you still have this option for your consumers. What are you seeing?

You have 2 very different "trade-in" tools here. AutoTrader.com TIM and NADA Guides

OMI - AutoTrader.com TIM online trade-in tool has little business being on a dealership website. It's NOT a tool for conversion. I still hold true in my opinion that it's indeed a strong tool and service but for the showroom floor or potentially used in a direct communication with a consumer depending on the instance.

With that being said, I did exactly what you have done at my Nissan store when we had TIM. I added another layer; a video on the page explaining the difference between the 2 services and what the consumer could expect from each service. If I can recall, the video received quite a few views over the 8 or so months when we had both services.

The Video helped build transparency and set the tone for what the customer was to expect during the process and after.

With the added video (our layout was a little different as well) we did have a slight conversion increase in TIM submissions. The Nissan dealers uses (and continues to use) Trade-Hook as their "other" online trade-in tool. They have since dropped TIM from both the website and showroom (against my advise).

Who agrees that Trade-in tools that are consumer facing on your dealership website are nothing more than a conversion point for nothing more that increased lead count?

Stupid.. Being honest, no offense.

No dealer needs any "Trade-in" tool other than the one on their website. I mean seriously, work on your own trade-in form, add a video, add relevant information, scale it up a bit.. You should NEVER need to pay 2 vendors for a trade-in application, lol. That's just throwing money away because you're lazy.

I mean let's be real, how many dealers have actually done that? Optimized/Split A/B tested their OWN trade-in form vs. a 3rd party? I will tell you NONE. (Maybe Joe and Me), but other than that none.

Kkcar, WTF are you gabbling about? Once again, here you are offering absolutely no value.

I'm not going to waste my time responding and explaining the difference between the 2 trade services and why Jonathan (and myself) went down this route.

"I mean seriously, work on your own trade-in form, add a video, add relevant information, scale it up a bit.."

This response alone goes to show that you're speaking from a lack of experience.

Reactions: 4 people
Kkcar, WTF are you gabbling about? Once again, here you are offering absolutely no value.

I'm not going to waste my time responding and explaining the difference between the 2 trade services and why Jonathan (and myself) went down this route.

"I mean seriously, work on your own trade-in form, add a video, add relevant information, scale it up a bit.."

This response alone goes to show that you're speaking from a lack of experience.

Me, Lack of experience? No Jeff. More like 99% of dealers lack REAL online internet marketing experience. (It's pretty clear since you don't even understand what I said, no offense. A REAL internet marketer would understand that. Don't be mad, no hate.)

I'm talking about optimizing your trade-in forms and link presentation and placement to boost conversions. Something dealers know NOTHING about. So they hire these garbage vendors thinking things will change over night, when in reality even their stuff is outdated. Ah yeah, slap on a 3rd party logo and their garbage video with a girl on the trade in form that plays on autoplay explaining how the process works. Let's pay another $200/Month for that! No phuck* that. Optimize your OWN trade-in forms, get creative, BREAK THE damn mold.

Errr wait.. Dealers can't do that, being creative, what? Nahhh, let's just pay for something that doesn't work and hope it does, because we don't know anything. I swear, the Dealer world is so behind on internet marketing it's ridiculous. Combine not knowing anything with money to spend, and there you have it.

NO Dealer, ZERO. Should ever be using a 3rd party trade-in tool added onto their website. PERIOD.

If you are, you SUCK at internet marketing, and are wasting your $$$.

/realtalk.

Oh yeah, and if you want to argue any of that..

Show me ONE dealer that does split A/B testing on their website...

There are ZERO. (I know Joe does, TWJ maybe, the rest? Not a chance, 0%).

kcar,

Would you want the management of your favorite neighborhood restaraunt obsessing over optimizing a page on its website, or, would you want the management fully immersed in finding ways to be better month over month over month...

kcar, your ego is completely governing your judgement and it will limit your carreer potential until you find a way to kill it. You must find a way to embrace humility to truly see the world, or, you'll find yourself grumbling about the same shit 10 years from today.

Reactions: 2 people
Kcar, the last time I checked, it is about selling cars and making money through the internet. If I felt like I needed a custom trade application, I would hire someone to do it. I have bigger fish to fry. I am about processes, people and closing deals. That geek shit will only get you so far.

You used to have a signature that said building number one dealerships, one at a time ..something like that. We're still waiting for you to build the first one. When you have done this, you don't worry about spending $200/month. When you are selling 70+% of the cars and making 80% of the gross, dealers will throw money at you.

Kcar,

i ask you again. Bring something to the DR community other than your youthful opinion.

Its time to SHARE IDEAS and findings.

p.s. if you weren't so busy being negative your skin might be thick enough for peer review. C'mon dude! Embrace learning!!

OMI - AutoTrader.com TIM online trade-in tool has little business being on a dealership website. It's NOT a tool for conversion. I still hold true in my opinion that it's indeed a strong tool and service but for the showroom floor or potentially used in a direct communication with a consumer depending on the instance.

Jeff,

I don't know if those two tools should be together in the same page or have 2 at the same time is the best idea, but referring to your comment lots of dealers have added TIM to their website probably as being suggested by their Autotrader rep and we have heard very good feedback and no negatives.

Dealers have even enjoyed getting customers in that just want to trade a car and not buy because the market has been pretty dry at the auction. We even has dealers ask us to add the TIM logo to Craigslist templates to increase customer awareness.