• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Vehicle Repossessions and Uptick of Shoppers

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff

For the full tweet:

What's up with car repossessions?
Let me tell you what we're seeing...

Budget-constrained consumers have had no choice but to purchase "older" cars over the past couple of years.

Record-high car prices combined with the overall lack of inventory have led everyday shoppers to make questionable purchases.

But we're now seeing something interesting develop:

A big uptick of shoppers that are coming in with recent repossessions on their credit history.

When we ask them "what happened?", they tell us that they purchased an "old" car and it broke down, leaving them with a repair bill they couldn't afford.

And guess what happens when people can't afford to repair their car?

You guessed it... They stop making their car payments.

Well, here's the bottom line:

The average age of a used car on the road keeps increasing due to the inventory shortage.

And the majority of America cannot afford a $25K used car, let alone a $48K new car.

The result?

The supply of inexpensive used cars continues to dwindle.

We have 25% fewer used cars on the road vs 2019 — 2.2M vs 2.9M.

This is leaving many budget-constrained consumers with no choice but to purchase older cars that are much more susceptible to mechanical breakdowns.

And — unsurprisingly — it's now becoming clear that selling older cars results in a higher rate of repossessions.

Bookmark this tweet.

We're going to see a lot more of this over the next 12 months.

The average age of a used car on the road keeps increasing due to the inventory shortage.

And the majority of America cannot afford a $25K used car, let alone a $48K new car.

The result?

The supply of inexpensive used cars continues to dwindle.

TLDR quoted above.

There are rising costs of insurance affecting matters of aging vehicles too.

It has taken longer to repair vehicles in 2020, 2021, and 2022 because of supply chain shortages. Insurance companies have had excessive increases in rental car payouts. The repair cost has increased, too: labor rates, shipping of parts, special order items, etc.

Another major factor is not being said out loud: government legislation changes. I don't know all the details behind each state's differences, but some insurance carriers are not writing new policies in some states. Most states where this occurs are colored in blue on political party-affiliated maps.

I have heard 2022 was a horrendous fiscal year for insurance companies. I suspect we have not felt their losses fully yet.