• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Vender Request Meetings - Time Zones

DrewAment

Boss
Apr 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Drew
Just my opinion, but it seems like customer service 101 ---- It is YOUR job as a vender (trying to sell) or support person, to know which time zone the client/prospect is in. And, work around THEIR schedule and timing, and make it convenient for them.

- When a client/prospect in CA says 1pm for a meeting, and you send them a meeting invite for 1pm EST ('cause you are east coast) - YOU messed up.

- When you are asking for a meeting and your email says 10AM EST or 1PM EST -- and the client/prospect is in NV. YOU are creating friction. In most cases all they see is 10am or 1pm??

- When a client/prospect requests a 8am meeting, they are in Texas .... you are in CA and sent them a meeting invite for 8am PST ... YOU messed up.

- When a NY client/prospect asks for 10am meeting to see your new product - and you are west coast. Don't make the excuse that is "too early" (7am).

These are actual examples and I see these all the time, from all over the country -- and it is just frustrating that it takes multiple emails to get a "time locked in" or the sales/support person is just clueless??

Just my opinion, but it seems like customer service 101 ---- It is YOUR job as a vender (trying to sell) or support person, to know which time zone the client/prospect is in. And, work around THEIR schedule and timing, and make it convenient for them.

- When a client/prospect in CA says 1pm for a meeting, and you send them a meeting invite for 1pm EST ('cause you are east coast) - YOU messed up.

- When you are asking for a meeting and your email says 10AM EST or 1PM EST -- and the client/prospect is in NV. YOU are creating friction. In most cases all they see is 10am or 1pm??

- When a client/prospect requests a 8am meeting, they are in Texas .... you are in CA and sent them a meeting invite for 8am PST ... YOU messed up.

- When a NY client/prospect asks for 10am meeting to see your new product - and you are west coast. Don't make the excuse that is "too early" (7am).

These are actual examples and I see these all the time, from all over the country -- and it is just frustrating that it takes multiple emails to get a "time locked in" or the sales/support person is just clueless??
Every vendor should use some form of a Calendly calendar for prospects to pick the time that's best for them without 20 emails back and forth.

Every vendor should use some form of a Calendly calendar for prospects to pick the time that's best for them without 20 emails back and forth.

Agreed -- as long as the "program" sends an actual meeting invite.

Another thing that bugs me is when a person copy pastes the meeting info (zoom, teams, etc) into the reply -- without creating an actual meeting invite.

I always check to see what time zone they're in before making a call, just part of the homework that goes into prospecting, and ALWAYS suggest the time based on wherever they are, ie don't say "how is 1pm eastern" if they're on the West coast. I have the Calendly link in my signature too, never hurts to let your contact choose the best option.

Haha, sales 101. Make it as smooth and effortless as possible for all parties to move through the process.

The back-and-forth negotiation for meeting times always kills me. Calendly as suggested above is a very cheap, but very worthwhile option (I personally use it at every org I've been with - no affiliation with the company). I'm sure there are other similar platforms.