• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Vendor email and spam

DrewAment

Boss
Apr 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Drew
I just checked one of my dealership email accounts spam folder... and OMG. Nothing but vendors and advertisements from vendors. (attached)

Some of these are from vendors that are email marketeers! Keep in mind that this is a dealership email address that I have been pretty liberal on not marking stuff as spam. Makes you think, does this really work, and what are these people doing wrong to get spammed?

Attachments

• DrewAment741 Apr. 08 10.57.jpg
    DrewAment741 Apr. 08 10.57.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: joe.pistell
We've had these threads before. I think someone posted a video that a CRM vendor was sending out via email with some carwash style girls in it talking about how much they just LOVE their CRM...

It always prompts the same question....what is the magic word(s) from a vendor that gets a dealers' attention?

We've had these threads before. I think someone posted a video that a CRM vendor was sending out via email with some carwash style girls in it talking about how much they just LOVE their CRM...

It always prompts the same question....what is the magic word(s) from a vendor that gets a dealers' attention?
0 words. I always tell vendors, especially when they call, I've never bought anything from anyone cold calling me. I feel like if I am not going out and getting the proper products for the dealership to succeed I'm not doing my job

What I hate more than anything is phone calls from digital communication companies.
If you run an Email Marketing company you should be well versed in email - don't send me an email full of grammatical mistakes and then follow up with a phone 2 seconds later. I can't wait for phones to go the way of the typewriter ;)

guilty as charged.
I'm not on that list and definitely don't send more than a few emails a year
what do you recommend as the best way to get in front of the dealership.
Having boots on the ground is just to expensive, and if cold calling is also not recommend, HOW can a vendor get your attention?

Is having a booth at conventions the only (expensive) option?

For the most part I can appreciate salespeople and don't mind taking a call as long as the vendor has something intelligent to say, plus I like talking about the business, new trends, etc.

What irks me in regards to unsolicited phone calls is when someone's trying to tee me up for "15 minute demo" and has no knowledge of the product or service their representing.

- Be knowledgeable about your product and the car business in general
- If I'm busy or intrigued I'll probably ask for something I can read over when I have more time, so it's nice the vendor has something to send me
- Be respectful of my time

Dislikes:
- Submitting a lead on our website
- Not having any knowledge that our group houses 5 OEMs, the worst is getting a call soliciting our Cadillac store, then 5 minutes later to our Chevy store, then 5 minutes later for our KIA store. When they get to KIA, that's usually when they hang up on me upon hearing my voice.
- Un-appointed visits

Reactions: Daniel Kim
There have been threads on this here before, many dealership people said then they would rather get an email, some would rather a phone call most don't like walk ins but as a vendor I can promise if we did not have to make cold calls of any kind and still generate leads we would. Now I am not selling a "sexy" product like some vendors I am selling DMS Solution and many dealers honestly don't even think about it until its brought up to them or it too late and their current contract with RR or ADP is too close to being up for them to research new options.

When I am cold calling I would never send a message through a dealers website, I also do research through LinkedIn and other social media to learn more about the person I am reaching out to.