• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Hi John. I just joined the Forum and saw your post. Your challenge is a common one. As you are seeing, OEMs have different names for the same equipment and the OEM colors are all over the place. When you add in the fact that dealership employees enter more information "free form" as you mentioned, it compounds the issue.

DataOne Software, where I am Director of Sales, solves this with a data set that pulls in over 300k standard and optional equipment names and "normalizes" them into common, useable terms.

Free or nearly-free VIN decoding options are fine when 100% accuracy is not critical. You'll know (your customers will tell you) when a commercial-grade solution is needed. Let me know if you think it's worth a quick chat. Here's a link where you or others following this thread can request a technical API or a non-technical browser trial to check it out for yourself.

Reactions: Tallcool1
I'm familiar with DataOne Software. I used to use them at my old company which was sold off.
It looks like this other National Highway Safety Government source may potentially provide the same accuracy, and without cost.
I need to look into it, but I do remember DataOne and it was fair priced. Was not expensive from what I remember.

Reactions: craigh
Hi John. I just joined the Forum and saw your post. Your challenge is a common one. As you are seeing, OEMs have different names for the same equipment and the OEM colors are all over the place. When you add in the fact that dealership employees enter more information "free form" as you mentioned, it compounds the issue.

DataOne Software, where I am Director of Sales, solves this with a data set that pulls in over 300k standard and optional equipment names and "normalizes" them into common, useable terms.

Free or nearly-free VIN decoding options are fine when 100% accuracy is not critical. You'll know (your customers will tell you) when a commercial-grade solution is needed. Let me know if you think it's worth a quick chat. Here's a link where you or others following this thread can request a technical API or a non-technical browser trial to check it out for yourself.
Tim, I like the way you clearly identified yourself as the Sales Director for DataOne. I don't think there is anything wrong with an expert trying to help, I don't like it when someone pretends they aren't.

Good.

Reactions: Tim O
We always try to tie the license fee to the way you monetize the data so, yes, we're often told we're very affordable. Add in quality data, 99.99% uptime, and outstanding customer support and you've got a successful business that's been around for 20+ years.

We're here for you when you need us.