• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

We are some rich bastards

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
A few months ago I came to a realization, after speaking to some technologists outside the automotive industry, and have been planning to write an article about it. But time and a personal concern that it might not be taken the right way has pushed me to hold off ....and to put it in the forums where I think some better discussion may occur.

We are rich and bitchy car dealers!

And that's a GREAT thing.

As of 2013 I think it can arguably be stated that car dealers have the best technology solutions of any industry out there aside from something like those in the stock market trading world or defense contracting. We're catered to by niche technologists who solely focus on dealers' needs. And these technologists are getting smarter and better all the time.

This has happened because car dealers have money to spend and very little patience for complex solutions. The choice to move that money to the vendor they see as the easiest and most daily-problem-solving has sparked an amazing evolution that truly benefits the entire industry....consumers included.

Other industries don't have the capital to finance the kind of technological power that exists solely for car dealers and OEMs. They're also willing to deal with 5 billion pop-ups and monotonous tabs with 3,000 reports all saying contradicting information simply because they have not propagated a revolving door culture (I hope you're catching all of my double meanings in the term "revolving door").

Despite what you may think of a certain vendor, or what a certain vendor might think about you, we should all look at ourselves and say thank you for everything we've accomplished as an industry. It is really cool when you shed the daily grind and think about things on the whole :thumbup:

I'm glad to be a part of it! ...as both the bitcher and the builder.

Dealers are rich, then there is the vendors living in their shadow.

Alex Snyder = both rich and a bas@#*

Yago = counting the garbanzos for my next soup and renting my donkey for some extra cash

Jokes apart (and sorry for the insult) it is totally true however we have also benefited from the improvements other businesses have built.

If I could +1 ever statement you made in this post I would, but
1. That would get really annoying for anybody reading
2. I'm on a laptop and that would be really hard to do.

I totally agree with this post on so many levels. It's semi-sarcastic, yet very true. This is a very unique industry that can be frustrating, but at the end of the day it all works out for the best.

As for you Yago, hope you aren't spending the extra $ on the the canned garbanzo beans -- not only are they high in sodium. They are WAY more expensive. It the meantime, I'll send ya some coup's for those chickpeas. lol j/k!