- Sep 10, 2026
- 3
- 0
- First Name
- Steven
GSM here, been in the car business since '91. Ford store for 21 years, import store the last 14.
I'm curious what other stores are tracking on their salespeople beyond units and gross. Every store tracks those two. I'm more interested in the numbers you use to see a problem before it shows up on the board at month end.
A few I watch:
What's on your list? Is there a metric you started tracking that changed how you coach? And how are you tracking it: CRM reports, a whiteboard, a spreadsheet somebody updates by hand?
I'm curious what other stores are tracking on their salespeople beyond units and gross. Every store tracks those two. I'm more interested in the numbers you use to see a problem before it shows up on the board at month end.
A few I watch:
- Ups to write-ups. If they're talking to people but not getting to a pencil, it's usually a needs or presentation problem.
- Demo percentage. No demo, low close. Simple as that.
- Turn-over rate. Are they bringing a manager in before the customer walks?
- Be-back and sold-follow-up activity. Who's working their unsold traffic and who's waiting on a fresh up.
- Appointment show rate. This one tells me a lot about phone skills.
What's on your list? Is there a metric you started tracking that changed how you coach? And how are you tracking it: CRM reports, a whiteboard, a spreadsheet somebody updates by hand?