• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What do you pay for your website provider?

Mike at DealerTrend is an awesome guy... it's $299/month.
Not to mention that also get's you multiple applications so you can build up to 3 micro sites as well as custom mobile sites. They give you a full walk through of how to fire mobile up and the script to redirect mobile users. If you'd like to see our: Regina Lincoln Dealer site and m.capitallincoln.ca site. Mike has been better than great to work with!

One thing that's easy to overlook is the science that goes into web production. I for one would have to set aside 3 pages (literally) of to-do's to properly test and analyze site performance, which can be a 10+hr/week job. This isn't saying dealer web providers are better equipped or actually doing this but they should come with a fundamental base and constantly evolve their product to improve user experience. Dealers don't have staff to properly merchandise used cars let alone a business intelligence analyst to work through operational efficiencies like website conversions and user engagement.

I think paying the $1000/mo+ we do with DealerOn is MORE then worth it. We had a $199 solution built locally that was designed by us, a car dealer, telling him what to do and it was quickly apparent (even though we wouldn't admit it) that it's sub par... despite being cheap like borsht. DealerOn has been a great partner but I make sure anyone on our team who calls them treats them well and tries to joke around and have fun with them... small piece of advice that's helped us: think twice before you act like an ass hat when shit goes sideways and you're all fired up AND buy them a beer any chance you get.... it goes a long way to have a business partner instead of just a website provider.

Reactions: 1 person
...Having owned my own web design firm... Any web designer worth their salt can script your DMS inventory. No need for the feed..

Ryan,

Anyone in the business can tell you're speaking without experience. Please post as though you were surrounded by a lot of people who may be a whole lot smarter and wiser than you. Start with kcar, he's recently gone down your path.

Here's a good DIY thread http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f43/do-you-really-want-diy-2049.html

Challenge yourself and your ability to take the other side of the argument. Explain why 25,000 auto dealer business exec's cut 4 figure checks each month when all any dealer needs is a geek and a Godaddy account for <$10 a month?

Example:
Look at Mitch Gallant in the post above. Mitch is quite possibly on of the most energized, hard working "all in" digital marketers in our space. He pay's the awesome crew a DealerOn 4 figures and considers it money well spent.

Are you missing something? Think about it.

Reactions: 3 people
What vendors do seems easy from the outside just like selling a car seems easy to vendors (buy a car, clean it, put it in the front line, right?). Neither is right (did I express that correctly!?).

There is more to selling a car than meets the eye (for the record I sold cars for 4 years while I got my BS in Computer Science).

Websites are no easy job and your "week end warrior coding skills" will fall behind very quickly. Websites require more and a style sheet... they require R&D (guess what is Pistell getting paid for), graphics design, front end coding, back end coding, inventory feeds, a back end to control, things, forms, secure certificates, compliance, etc.

Joe Pistell is right: Why doesn't everyone do their own thing if it is so easy? Do you think you are so smart or unique? There is an IT guy just like you almost at any dealer in the nation that sells more than 150 cars a month (and there are a lot of those).

https://plus.google.com/113105138039331883988?rel=author