• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What is an appropriate "reward"

Fuzebuy

Tie Cut
May 10, 2012
First Name
Tony
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the subject of what is an approriate reward to get the customer to come back. Is it a free oil change after so many visits? Or perhaps a discount on future service? What are your thoughts on what is fair and still cost effective to gaurentee return business without cutting into the bottom line.

Are we talking about a new or existing customer? Either way, I think the real answer is a loyalty program. I know there's programs out there that companies can subscribe to and I'm sure ones that are targeted towards dealerships (I'm to lazy to google it), but should they get free oil changes, yes .. discounts, yes. Like anything, it all needs to be tracked though for and IMO built in a nice interface that the service writes/advisers can use.

With all that gibberish said, I think oil changes are the quick fix - Assuming it's at least semi-convenient. Most people will return there just for the oil change. They barely cost anything for the dealer. Oh, and it obviously gives them a reason to bump the upsell the customer.

I'm assuming you talking about the app you're researching? I would make it flexible, where a dealer could choose rewards or service tokens towards services. Or even push double rewards for a month, or week or more. Put a gamification spin on it.

Classic... All the Sales guys want to give away Service stuff. Meanwhile, the Service Director is cussing up a storm 'cuz he has no margins after performing "free" stuff.

IMO, freebies are gimmicks. Be Better than the next guy, and forget about giving away oil changes.

Classic... All the Sales guys want to give away Service stuff. Meanwhile, the Service Director is cussing up a storm 'cuz he has no margins after performing "free" stuff.

IMO, freebies are gimmicks. Be Better than the next guy, and forget about giving away oil changes.

That's why you need to keep it flexible to add your own perks. I don't think you should give anything away for free. But if you can share a check-in on Facebook, maybe get service tokens that are good for discounts on a service bill. Or tokens for getting oil changes or a car wash at the dealership, etc. Make it activity based, and push double points at various times of the year. You can also add service specials notifications with double points.

Reactions: 1 person
be loyal to the customer they will be loyal to you!!! Show them you care stand out against your comp in the area mystery shop you comp see what they are doing right and wrong go back and check your self are you doing the same thing if so your no better then the guy down the street so why should the customer be loyal to you?? Also we have a loyalty rewards program with Nissan getting back up to 3% that you can use in our service dept and i love it i give them the first 25.00 to spend in service and 250 in sales for there next new car purchase with us. remember the customers asks themselves why should i keep my business with you. You need to build value to them and prove it to them that u will hold true to it.

Reactions: 1 person
be loyal to the customer they will be loyal to you!!! Show them you care stand out against your comp in the area mystery shop you comp see what they are doing right and wrong go back and check your self are you doing the same thing if so your no better then the guy down the street so why should the customer be loyal to you?? Also we have a loyalty rewards program with Nissan getting back up to 3% that you can use in our service dept and i love it i give them the first 25.00 to spend in service and 250 in sales for there next new car purchase with us. remember the customers asks themselves why should i keep my business with you. You need to build value to them and prove it to them that u will hold true to it.

How are those points tracked, is it through a loyalty engine of some type or just the customers transaction history?