• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What to do about Windows XP and your existing PCs

@yagoparamo we have done business with one another for how many years? Let's say 20+ as RyanTech/Vehix/WD/WG and Protective? This is about the industry not paying attention to licensing on computers for $499. It states clearly that these are PCs for HOME use and not for business. There is a cleansing of this right now on this topic and it's no different than what we used to pay for "home" service for landline phones, "home" service for cellular or "home" service for internet. I pay $199 from Comcast for 105mb Fiber at home and $459 at the office ( same service ) kind of. When I dial up the customer support number for home and office it is different ( india/local ). You can expect the same service as a car dealer or any business person when you pick up a discounted PC for "home" use vs. "business" use. Let's not confuse the issue. @yagoParamo is one of the most respected and trustworthy gents I know and I respect your opinion yet I believe you'll respect mine.

Ryan,

You are totally wrong: "I'm not respected at all in this industry."

As for the computer issue I think we are both saying the same thing: Dealers have outdating systems because they have bought them looking for the lowest price and not performance. The computer industry didn't make things too clear, the dealers were no experts on the differences in computers, and also because computers because much relevant in a relative short period of time.

None the less the change moving forward should be easier than ever; we all know more about what is a good/bad computer and computers with some 'guts' are cheaper than ever.

I would like to chime in if I may. First of all we lease all of our computer equipment, so that there is a constant refresh occurring as machines approach the end of their useful life (3 years). There is some definite confusion in dealerships in regards to what is required with respect to hardware and software. For a typical dealer there is no need for the Pro version of an OS, most do not have domains or require RDP. Home is legal for business use, it just lacks a few features that are key to larger organizations. Back in the day GM dealers had to connect up to the GM domain but those days are long gone. On the hardware front, most users in a dealership run some sort of DMS window (lightweight), browsers and an email client. Hardly taxing for a $500 machine now a days. I know I am on a bit of a ramble here, I guess the point I am trying to make to all of the readers is don't be fooled into buying a high end pc for your stores, rather stick with a lower end unit but from a recognized computer manufacturer.

Good conversation happening here but I have to differ that @yagoparamo is respected. At any rate, to correct the statement from @Viracocha, the EULA for Windows 7 Home edition is available online License Terms: It states in many locations that the use of the software is only for non-commercial purposes. I understand people do this all the time, use the software for business, but it doesn't mean that it's legal. Check my credentials when you like and you'll find this to be valid. The other thing is that Home versions DO NOT have the encryption technologies required by PCIC, GLB and FISMA in order to protect privacy of the information stored on a computer which also violates the use of Home versions in commercial applications in any financial transaction, namely car sales. That said, you might save a buck or two on a computer but you are certainly violating Microsoft's license as well as federal standards for protection of consumer rights and data. Let's make sure that the $32 on average you save on a PC without at least a Pro vs. Enterprise version is well thought out. In an average dealership there are only 50 PCs at play so we're talking about a $1,600 argument here over 3 years? Yeah, that's a no brainer. The attorney's fees will begin at "plus zero" to that, perhaps 16,000$... check the historical records for license violations; it happens. Just my .02 and I look forward to more conversation on this important topic.