• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What to do about Windows XP and your existing PCs

Kevin McMillen

Full Sticker + Prep
Nov 16, 2012
First Name
Kevin
It's been a while since I wrote this article for Microsoft a while ago that talks about why SaaS makes sense for auto dealers: Bringing business to the cloud: Why does Software as a Service (SAAS) make so much sense for dealers? but this one talks about it in another light: Bringing business to the cloud: Are You Running Last Decade’s Software?

When we talk about Windows XP and those PCs in your stores today we're talking a whole new ball game. In April of next year all Windows XP computers will become what is called "Non-Compliant" for GLB, PCIC and FISMA standards because Microsoft is shutting off support for the product, as well as Office 2003.

This means that every desktop, laptop and server in your stores either must be upgraded or replaced. This can be expensive if not done right. We have a calculator that is being launched at the end of this month which allows dealers to either download some software from us and it will analyze the network and provide a quote ( easiest way ) or you can enter some estimates into a web page and get the same results.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

My apologies @sPeters for the sales pitch. In reading it again you are right but I hope that the excitement I have in helping dealers in our new path after 27 years of serving dealers with technology is apparent. I will tone my sales pitch down and my excitement on educating them up. Thanks for the reminder to keep this educational and informational and not a sales pitch. You can take the guy out of the car but you can't take the "car guy" out of the guy. :)

Yeah, I have to agree with SPeters on your posts sounding overly pitchy. Normally we would have moderated this thread because it skates the rules, but this is a very important topic. Kevin, we'll leave the thread the way it is, but please tone the selling down. DealerRefresh is about best practices, opinion, and news.....not making the size of a vendor's wallet larger.

Now that the news of Microsoft finally discontinuing support for XP is out there let's focus this thread on the best practices of switching to a supported platform.

For the record, Kevin sells Microsoft solutions. He's got a unique niche carved out for himself in the automotive industry. I've known Kevin for years - virtually everything he says is geared at selling, but he truly has some beneficial things to say to the dealers who are struggling with the changes Microsoft is about to force.

XP is great, we find computers with IE6 (yes, 6).

Not an OS but you get the idea when the dealer calls and asks why his website doesn't look right.

Dealers don't spend much money on computers but I think that the computer industry has done everyone a disfavor by selling the $499 computers letting people think they will be useful for more than one year.

@yagoparamo we have done business with one another for how many years? Let's say 20+ as RyanTech/Vehix/WD/WG and Protective? This is about the industry not paying attention to licensing on computers for $499. It states clearly that these are PCs for HOME use and not for business. There is a cleansing of this right now on this topic and it's no different than what we used to pay for "home" service for landline phones, "home" service for cellular or "home" service for internet. I pay $199 from Comcast for 105mb Fiber at home and $459 at the office ( same service ) kind of. When I dial up the customer support number for home and office it is different ( india/local ). You can expect the same service as a car dealer or any business person when you pick up a discounted PC for "home" use vs. "business" use. Let's not confuse the issue. @yagoParamo is one of the most respected and trustworthy gents I know and I respect your opinion yet I believe you'll respect mine.