• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What to do with lying customers

After 42 years in the car business, I could write a book on shady things customers have tried to pull on me. How many times customers have brought back their trade with the audio system removed or wheels and tires replaced. How many times they told me their car hasn't been wrecked and it shows on a CarFax while they owned it. I noticed that you didn't chose the appraisal portion. How many times have you run into that?

I didn't work for "jicky" dealerships and trained my people to be professional and never lie to a customer. If someone was telling a lie, it wasn't my people. I got a lot of repeat and referral business. I loved those customers. It was always, quick and easy. My stores were always at the top in CSI.

I know some car people that are so crooked, when they die, they will just screw them into the ground. I know some customers that are just like them. Not all good and not all bad.

Doug,

As as vendor I can also write a book about the shady things dealers did to me... but I still love the business.

I've come to believe that it is not the car business nor the dealers, but just business.

Dislike someone? Walk away and don't do business with them. Like someone? Anchor yourself deeper and help them grow so you keep them as clients for a long time.

Reactions: 2 people
I understand where you are coming from Doug but everything I've ever researched from Consumer Forums to Dealer Forums talk about archaic tactics used to get people in the door to make a killing on one vehicle.... terms used like "clubbing like a baby seal" and the like.

Do / Did all Dealerships and personnel act this way? No... but the perception (perception is reality for the majority) felt that was the case. So now there are thousands of places online to research how to buy a vehicle and a lot of them tell the customers now to use tactics and hold back on giving us information because the less informed we are the less likely we are to take advantage of the customer.

If people are not conditioned, why are we rated sooooooo low that even Lawyers get a better rep than us? It's because they are conditioned to think that we are nothing but crooks based on those old-school tactics and the new-school crooks who think they must deceive customers to make money.

I've been told that I am too honest for this business and I will never be successful in the Auto Industry because of it... I do not follow the "norm" just because "it is the way it is." I work based on providing customers a great experience whether they lie to me or not. I've closed many liars myself because of the experience and my up-front honesty.

All I'm saying is, instead of preaching about buyers being liars, let's preach about process and consistency and being transparent with our co-workers / employees.

Jared, we have and always will have that reputation. I've had customers talk about how sorry dealers are. When I would remind them that is what I am, "that's different" ... "You are not like that". Today, customers think you are dishonest for making a profit.

Nobody is too honest for this business. I was the Internet Director for a Nissan store in Dallas. We were consistently in the top 5 out of the group (76 stores at the time). They fired my GM and brought in a pure crook. I had to quit, after six years, because I don't do business that way. I followed my GM to another Nissan store. I had to start all over. My previous store's internet sales went into the toilet. And my new store became the number one volume internet department out of 173 dealerships. It isn't just about honesty, it is about culture. If the culture is about excellence, you will do amazing things.

Reactions: 1 person
Doug,

As as vendor I can also write a book about the shady things dealers did to me... but I still love the business.

I've come to believe that it is not the car business nor the dealers, but just business.

Dislike someone? Walk away and don't do business with them. Like someone? Anchor yourself deeper and help them grow so you keep them as clients for a long time.

Honestly, I'm glad to be out, retired and fishing. There are dealerships that still owe me money. I don't think about it, I just cast a line. I still do some work but only for people that I like and care about. I am very selective.

Honestly, I'm glad to be out, retired and fishing. There are dealerships that still owe me money. I don't think about it, I just cast a line. I still do some work but only for people that I like and care about. I am very selective.

After nearly ten years of running a used car dealer, I am glad to be finally out as well. Now I provide digital marketing solutions for many dealers around me. It's a lot less stressful when you're working in the backend of operations.

Doug I completely agree that it is about the Culture and having a mind-set of excellence. Strive to provide an excellent experience for the customer and the profit will come.

Continue to do shady tactics to jam people into cars will only continue to hinder your CSI and future business while other stores jump ahead of the curve to be transparent.

A lot of the time though I feel I am the only one who thinks this way compared to the majority of people I have worked with in this business. Makes me feel like maybe I'm in the wrong business at times, but then I realize I love cars and I love working with people and being honest and upfront is not bad business.

Jared, I was fortunate to be able to surround myself with really good people that had the same mindset. I have a couple of friends that have been in the business for a long time. They just sell cars and a lot of them. They don't take ups or work the internet. They only sell repeats and referrals. I saw one Friday before last. He had 23 cars out on the 15th of the month. He sold over 400 cars last year. That is a lot of trust that he has built up over the years.