1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

What ways could dealers be more transparent, IDEAS anyone?

Discussion in 'Online Marketing & Best Practices' started by Jeff Kershner, Aug 19, 2015.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. bringles

bringles
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Erik
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Auto Advantage
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your input. What is the name of the email service you use to send that info to the customer? I figure i could scan everything and attach it to an email, but if there is a way to save time and automate the process that would be helpful. I am a one man show, so i am limited on time.

On the subject of automation. Can you make any recommendations on software to automate the sales follow up process. I know there is a ton of CRMs out there. I am looking for one that is more along the lines of what an internet marketer would use. Automated Text and email follow up with list segmentation. For example, customer gets an initial text and or email after opt in. The first contact gathers basic info like when they plan to make a purchase, if they need a loan, etc. Based on their responses, the follow up is more time sensitive and helpful to both buyer and seller.

2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. bringles

bringles
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Erik
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Auto Advantage
    I think the benefits far outweigh the occasional issue like this, especially if your selling a quality car the odds are very low.

4. Tallcool1

Tallcool1
    Expand Collapse
    Jr. Refresher

First Name:
    Clint
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Clock Tower Auto Mall
    I get what you are saying, but I am leaning more in the direction of @Jeff Kershner@Jeff Kershner and @bringles@bringles on this. The point here is not the one time that some judge used the booklet against the dealer. The point here is the 100 times that the booklet sold the car.

5. yagoparamo

yagoparamo
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Yago
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerEProcess
    Twitter Handle:
    yagoparamo
    @Tallcool1@Tallcool1 I wasn't trying to set any direction but just some food for thought that while transparency is good, it comes with certain liabilities. Liabilities in business have, unfortunately, a deep correlation to how they are written/presented. So being aware of these may allow you ro present things in a manner that while being transparent and forward about your product, it doesn't catch you back later.

6. Tallcool1

Tallcool1
    Expand Collapse
    Jr. Refresher

First Name:
    Clint
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Clock Tower Auto Mall
    I understood that you weren't implying that the binders not be used @yagoparamo@yagoparamo .

Unfortunately, our industry is full of risks, and we as car dealers have to decide which risks are worth the potential reward.

On a side note, I am inclined to believe that the 3 ring binder IN AND OF ITSELF had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the court case you mentioned. I would guess that there was something in the paperwork of the actual transaction that caused the dealer to assume responsibility for a failed component.

I know you were the messenger, and I believe you have delivered a good message.

7. Martin_Bluecar

Martin_Bluecar
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Martin
    Twitter Handle:
    bluecarppc
    I think it's not about being transparent. As you mentioned people don't mind paying crazy money for Apple products - it's because they love Apple - they can buy a smartphone for a half of the price with very similar specs. Apple is a great example so I'm gonna stick with it. People know the story of Apple, its ups and downs, they know Steve Jobs - they feel like they're very close to Apple. Car dealers have to do the same thing - they have to make people know them. The best way to do so is social media - dealers have to be active, post photos of the dealership when they're going to work on Monday, photos of the staff having lunch, some interesting facts/stats about the city/area, about cars they sell, some (car) jokes, etc. This will make the relationship between dealers and clients more personal - they will start to trust the dealership.

People think dealerships care just about the money, and most dealership's current social network posts just support this - it's often just photos of cars from their inventory and the number you can reach them at if you want to buy. Social Media Marketing is far from expensive, even though car dealers still ignore it and they better spend thousands on TV ads (about cars they sell) and then they're surprised it doesn't work. Sure it doesn't, people know they sell cars - they have to see the story behind the dealership.