• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What's new about Google vehicle ads?

We are not set up with Google Vehicle Ads yet - working on it though.

According to Google's requirements for this, it does say that aggregators are not permitted. When I've tested it out, it appears CarFax, TrueCar, Autotrader, etc (all major aggregators) are all advertising vehicles using the Vehicle Ads platform. If they are permitted on the platform, that will certainly increase the cost very quickly.

Requirements.pngVLA.png

Interesting topic. My take: not a marketplace killer. Google relies on firms already in the vertical when it does one of these things. The displays, info, and links route back to the players in the vertical (here, big aggregators down to small dealers). So I don't think this is a marketplace killer. More like an opportunity for smart marketing and a pothole for dealers who don't keep up.

We are not set up with Google Vehicle Ads yet - working on it though.

According to Google's requirements for this, it does say that aggregators are not permitted. When I've tested it out, it appears CarFax, TrueCar, Autotrader, etc (all major aggregators) are all advertising vehicles using the Vehicle Ads platform. If they are permitted on the platform, that will certainly increase the cost very quickly.

View attachment 7240View attachment 7241
Sorry I missed this comment when you posted it. Marketplaces ARE eligible. The policy against them was out of date. Here's what a Google PR person told me:

Chelsea Russo <[email protected]>​

Mon, Apr 4, 10:09 AM
to me
Hi Greg - it seems our Terms and Conditions are out of date. We're working to amend. I can confirm that vehicle ads are available to all types of automotive advertisers, including marketplaces. You likely saw our CarMax case study that was included in the Feb announcement. Repasting below, in case it's helpful. Thanks for flagging this!

As the nation’s largest retailer of used autos, offering 30 different makes and 600 models across over 220 stores in the U.S., CarMax aims to display the right car to the right customer in the right place. Powered by machine learning and automation, vehicle ads have driven incremental visits to CarMax’s website and have helped CarMax connect more shoppers with their next car.

If you have any additional questions about vehicle ads in the future, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Thanks again,
Chelsea

Quick question guys. For those of you that are running VLA's, how long did it take for you to get your inventory feed approved? I have everything setup and flowing correctly. Just waiting on Google to approve the inventory feed. Been waiting for about a week now.

Quick question guys. For those of you that are running VLA's, how long did it take for you to get your inventory feed approved? I have everything setup and flowing correctly. Just waiting on Google to approve the inventory feed. Been waiting for about a week now.
It can sometimes take a few weeks in my experience, though I'd probably follow up if more than two.

Oh, I heard about those Google vehicle ads too! It's like when you search on Google for cars, it shows you ads for cars that are being sold close to where you live. It's pretty cool because it makes finding cars for sale a lot easier. I think you might be right that this isn't totally new since George Nenni shared something about it a while back in 2021. Maybe the new thing is that now you can see these ads on your phone too, which would be super handy because lots of people use their phones for everything. Does anyone else know more about what's new with it?

Oh, I heard about those Google vehicle ads too! It's like when you search on Google for cars, it shows you ads for cars that are being sold close to where you live. It's pretty cool because it makes finding cars for sale a lot easier. I think you might be right that this isn't totally new since George Nenni shared something about it a while back in 2021. Maybe the new thing is that now you can see these ads on your phone too, which would be super handy because lots of people use their phones for everything. Does anyone else know more about what's new with it?
Everything is going mobile....gosh, how long have I been saying that! Here is the info straight from the source: