• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who Does Craigslist at your Dealership? Do you pay for someone to do it? Or do you not use it at all

Then I don't get it... 200 ads at 1 minute per ad (and that is F1 speed with an extreme good/expensive set up) is 3+ hours per day!

Yes 3 hours, but that's only the first day, zero hours after. So here's what I do, post all 200 cars on CL by hand to start, finish templates, get them all online, etc. Then I take my hand-developed auto software which takes the online ad, copies, it, deletes it, re posts it, does the capcacha, etc. So the first batch of ads, I'm doing all myself and 3 hours to start sounds about right. But after they are posted, it's all automatic from there.. The only thing that keeps my busy is when a cars sold I have to remove/delete it, and when a new car comes in, I have to add it in as well.. Somewhat time consuming to keep up. Also the biggest problem I was having (fixed now) was that it was posting cars from a bunch of dealerships with different sites/locations. So the dealer group would move a car to another store and it would mess the links up. Then I'd have to repost the ad, and doing that constantly was really frustrating.. So to fix that, I did a feed for all the store inventory into one site, so the links never break regardless of where the car goes.

Happy to say now that after doing tests on CL tonight everything is running very smoothly. Ps. I maxed everything out on a few tests a couple months ago, CL lets me post 200 ads per day to the top and they all stick. Using a phone verified, e-mail verified account, etc. For now I'll stick with doing about 20-30/day. Also this account has been going strong for 3 years, no issues, so not really worried about it.

They key is to not use any generic auto software (usually they use proxies, bad methods, don't work, it's a red flag on your account the moment you start using those), build your own that can vary the post times. Also do not post more than 5 ads per 15 min, you need to wait for CL to publish each group of 5 ads, then post another 5, etc. CL usually publishes posts your 5 ads per every 10-15 min when other people aren't posting a bunch. When you have other people posting a ton of ads during the same time you are posting yours, you'll see your ads are published in about 7.5 min.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes 3 hours, but that's only the first day, zero hours after. So here's what I do, post all 200 cars on CL by hand to start, finish templates, get them all online, etc. Then I take my hand-developed auto software which takes the online ad, copies, it, deletes it, re posts it, does the capcacha, etc. So the first batch of ads, I'm doing all myself and 3 hours to start sounds about right. But after they are posted, it's all automatic from there.. The only thing that keeps my busy is when a cars sold I have to remove/delete it, and when a new car comes in, I have to add it in as well.. Somewhat time consuming to keep up. Also the biggest problem I was having (fixed now) was that it was posting cars from a bunch of dealerships with different sites/locations. So the dealer group would move a car to another store and it would mess the links up. Then I'd have to repost the ad, and doing that constantly was really frustrating.. So to fix that, I did a feed for all the store inventory into one site, so the links never break regardless of where the car goes.

Happy to say now that after doing tests on CL tonight everything is running very smoothly. Ps. I maxed everything out on a few tests a couple months ago, CL lets me post 200 ads per day to the top and they all stick. Using a phone verified, e-mail verified account, etc. For now I'll stick with doing about 20-30/day. Also this account has been going strong for 3 years, no issues, so not really worried about it.

OK, Yeah, right...

Then I take my hand-developed auto software which takes the online ad, copies, it, deletes it, re posts it, does the capcacha, etc

That sounds as far of reality as a $3 bill. The ghosting on automated systems is off the hook BUT WAIT, I just realized that you went from 200 per day to:

For now I'll stick with doing about 20-30/day.

So now I believe you. If you do a tiny number of cars (and you work for a dealer group?) you can probably use an auto poster like autosoft. I also know that you will have to quickly start posting as images (no text) because the ghosting will get rid of your ads.

20 ads a day is one game, 200 is quite different (like major league baseball and minor league baseball).

They key is to not use any generic auto software (usually they use proxies, bad methods, don't work, it's a red flag on your account the moment you start using those), build your own that can vary the post times. Also do not post more than 5 ads per 15 min, you need to wait for CL to publish each group of 5 ads, then post another 5, etc. CL usually publishes posts your 5 ads per every 10-15 min when other people aren't posting a bunch. When you have other people posting a ton of ads during the same time you are posting yours, you'll see your ads are published in about 7.5 min.

By your numbers (that for the record, are incorrect) you can post 160 ads per day during the major 8 hours of CL peak searches. How come you post 20-30?

By your numbers (that for the record, are incorrect) you can post 160 ads per day during the major 8 hours of CL peak searches. How come you post 20-30?

Class, today we talk about your roll as a vendor, how to roll with a proud DIY dealer, AND, at all costs, how to avoid...

con·fron·ta·tion/ˌkänfrənˈtāSHən/
Noun:A hostile or argumentative meeting or situation between opposing parties

Suggested Reading: 7 Tips for dealing with confrontation
Followed up by: How to win over customers and keep them for life

I am of the opinion, the TIME OF DAY you post the vehicles matters a ton, yet I never see it mentioned. There is more to just pretty templates.

Here is my tip of the day,

Do not post retail price of the vehicle, try a monthly payment!

IE,

2010 Ford F-150, only $349.00 per month W.A.C

Be sure to include any disclaimers in the ad your state may require.

I have found, we can also now post types of NEW cars and get some great results.

I disagree with many comments in this forum regarding CL, so I usually stay mum, but I thought a little guidance here would be beneficial.

BTW, maybe try to the OPPOSITE of posting to CL, you may be surprised at your results!

***DISCLAIMER , yeah we do some sick traffic generation for our clients, and started ass a Cl posting company, but have evolved way past that. We get more results now from doing the OPPOSITE, check out our fanpage or call me for info, advice is always FREE and no obligation! I like to help as much ass I can ***

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Auto-LaunchPad/209985079012135

Class, today we talk about your roll as a vendor, how to roll with a proud DIY dealer, AND, at all costs, how to avoid...

con·fron·ta·tion/ˌkänfrənˈtāSHən/
Noun:A hostile or argumentative meeting or situation between opposing parties

Suggested Reading: 7 Tips for dealing with confrontation
Followed up by: How to win over customers and keep them for life

Joe,

I can't discuss things when the other site flat out doesn't tell the truth or what they say doesn't add up.

I'm talking to a guy that claims wrote his own piece of software that breaks thru any and all Craigslist safety/security systems, let me tell you what is wrong with that.

Read this:

"Then I take my hand-developed auto software which takes the online ad, copies, it, deletes it, re posts it, does the capcacha, etc. So the first batch of ads, I'm doing all myself and 3 hours to start sounds about right. But after they are posted, it's all automatic from there.. "

For all dealers: Breaking the captcha is breaking thru a security measure therefore known as hacking. Any person reading this that posts/works with CL know that fully automated software gets blown/ghosted by CL pretty quick not to mention the possible legal problems from screwing with their system. All lawsuits that CL has fought to this matter have been against automated systems that went around their software. For the record: Everything that I do for example and everything that I tell people to do is manual entry (auto create the templates but post them by hand).

Another non-truth that he writes is the "takes the online ad, copies, it, deletes it, re posts it" it sounds like a great process but you see, CL doesn't care that the ad has been posted or not as every ad is a new entry unless you are just logging in the PVA and hitting re-post. The problem with that is that you have to manually update in the code of each ad any changes such as price or comments.