• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who Does Craigslist at your Dealership? Do you pay for someone to do it? Or do you not use it at all

For all dealers: Breaking the captcha is breaking thru a security measure therefore known as hacking.

I think he meant he used a service to solve them, not hack them...

Yago, I have a couple dealers with your service, I was under the impression you offer a full service posting service, is this not the case? Maybe we should chat soon..

Joe,

I can't discuss things when the other site flat out doesn't tell the truth or what they say doesn't add up.

Yago,

Don't drop down to correct a DIY'er. You hold the high ground. You should act like it. Take off your combat suit and put on your teacher's hat.

Let the numbers do the talking.
How many dealers have a inhouse player like kcar. Lets say half of 1%. Of those in-house-nerds employed at a dealership, how many have decided to use their free time to build CL ads? Are we some where near 0.0001% of all dealers??

AND... if I am his boss, If I see just ONE deal coming from his work, $400 a month to automate what he's doing is chicken feed PLUS it makes me less dependent on him (should he leave).

Yago, kcar's post is a LEAD, his boss needs a phone call hahahaha ;-)

Take the high ground dude, it's a lot more fun too!

Reactions: 1 person
I think he meant he used a service to solve them, not hack them...

Yago, I have a couple dealers with your service, I was under the impression you offer a full service posting service, is this not the case? Maybe we should chat soon..

Brian,

Whether you break the captcha yourself or pay to break it, still hacking and still liable since CL can see the owner of the ads being pushed from that service.

Yes, we offer full service. Have been since 2005 with over 500,000 ads per month. Manually done, no hacking.

Yago,

Don't drop down to correct a DIY'er. You hold the high ground. You should act like it. Take off your combat suit and put on your teacher's hat.

Let the numbers do the talking.
How many dealers have a inhouse player like kcar. Lets say half of 1%. Of those in-house-nerds employed at a dealership, how many have decided to use their free time to build CL ads? Are we some where near 0.0001% of all dealers??

AND... if I am his boss, If I see just ONE deal coming from his work, $400 a month to automate what he's doing is chicken feed PLUS it makes me less dependent on him (should he leave).

Yago, kcar's post is a LEAD, his boss needs a phone call hahahaha ;-)

Take the high ground dude, it's a lot more fun too!

Agreed, it infuriated me to the point of not knowing how to approach this. When someone lies to make himself look better to the point of making up data and recommendations that could become a legal liability to the dealership.

Question for the masses. When evaluating your metrics for Craigslist, you are pretty limited. Anyone have any type of estimated gauge for # of vehicle views on Craigslist relative to click thru's to your website?

Or do you have any other methods to gauge the # of eyeballs your cars are getting on CL now that the html image tracking is gone?

Question for the masses. When evaluating your metrics for Craigslist, you are pretty limited. Anyone have any type of estimated gauge for # of vehicle views on Craigslist relative to click thru's to your website?

Or do you have any other methods to gauge the # of eyeballs your cars are getting on CL now that the html image tracking is gone?
We never bothered to track that, since Craigslist doesn't really want you to. Our tracking mechanisms are a call tracking number (make sure to get a local number--we have a toll-free one right beside it, but it's 2-to-1 local last I looked), plus click-thrus to the VDP.

As I told one of the managers, every rule in the modern dealer's digital marketing book goes out the window with Craigslist. Play their game, get calls and visits, and don't sweat not getting the bread before they say "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

Reactions: 2 people
So, since Craigslist no longer allows clickable URLs has everyone gone to asking to copy and paste? I'd like to see some figures on how many (or few) people copy and paste rather than just click.

It seems our craigslist traffic has slowed down significantly in volume even when other 3rd party sites are still hot. Trying to figure out if they are having a hard time contacting us, if people simply don't like all the changes or something else is going on. We used to do about 70% of our business or more from Craigslist.

So, since Craigslist no longer allows clickable URLs has everyone gone to asking to copy and paste? I'd like to see some figures on how many (or few) people copy and paste rather than just click.

It seems our craigslist traffic has slowed down significantly in volume even when other 3rd party sites are still hot. Trying to figure out if they are having a hard time contacting us, if people simply don't like all the changes or something else is going on. We used to do about 70% of our business or more from Craigslist.

If there was a book on how to completely screw up a website so people leave CraigsList is following the steps one by one. What was a great place to find cars is now a nightmare for both the people adding the data and the customers looking for the data.

Besides no HREF they have also added a new search algorithm so you can no longer search your ads by phone number, not key word sentences pull from every key word rather than the sentence, etc.

If there was a book on how to completely screw up a website so people leave CraigsList is following the steps one by one. What was a great place to find cars is now a nightmare for both the people adding the data and the customers looking for the data.

We're trying to make the best of it--we load up all 12 photos (going forward anyway; the rest will be updated on a price change), fill in all of their metadata blanks, put the phone number in bold, open up the email relay, and take what we can get. The phones definitely haven't picked up at the rate the clicks fell off according to our call tracking, but we saw enough traffic over the years to know folks are absolutely looking at these listings even if they aren't necessarily taking action directly from them. If our competitors don't want to settle for that, that's fine*--more for us!

*Obviously, there is a point where the lack of cars would harm Craigslist...y'all know what I mean here.