1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is innovating?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex Snyder, Dec 7, 2017.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    Since the acquisition years it seems to me that the DealerRefresh community has been a little quiet on the technologies out there. Is it a lack of innovations in comparison to times before 2015? Or are cards being held closer to the chest?

It is hard trying to write this without putting words in your mouth. What do you think is going on? Call me crazy too....that's a totally valid option :)

2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. JQuinn

JQuinn
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    JohnGQuinn
    What actual dealer problems/issues are left to solve? (vs. technology-created problems...) Especially on the Variable side?

4. Rick Buffkin

Rick Buffkin
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Rick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Beaman Automotive Group
    Did you really just ask that question????

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Tallcool1

Tallcool1
    Expand Collapse
    Jr. Refresher

First Name:
    Clint
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Clock Tower Auto Mall
    For me, it is absolutely about keeping the cards closer to the chest. I am a tiny Independent, but I keep my strategies to myself. Some things I don't even tell my staff. When I get onto something that seems to work, I don't want anyone to know about it.

We recently attended a training workshop that our State Independent Dealers Association sponsored. Before we walked in, the three of us attending discussed and agreed that we would keep our mouths shut during the "idea sharing session".

• Like Like x 1
  6. JQuinn

JQuinn
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    JohnGQuinn
    I did.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Rick Buffkin

Rick Buffkin
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Rick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Beaman Automotive Group
    @JQuinn@JQuinn, my personal opinion... Maybe 5% of the issues have been solved! The dealers digital arena is still a mess. Only difference is, now it's a bigger mess because there's more vendors in the game.

@Alex Snyder@Alex Snyder, Yes, I'm keeping my cards alot closer to my chest! Not just on here but, in general!

8. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    OMG John. There is an infinite number! There are of course the larger issues like breaking down the barriers between variable and fixed operations departments. And then there are the smaller ones of getting the appropriate message in front of the appropriate audience... this one being a few billion dollars a year.

Ultimately, there is the true innovation that we aren't even thinking about. The Steve Jobs kind of stuff. Or more closer to home: Dealertrack's changing of the finance process or vAuto's reshaping of used car perspectives.

9. JQuinn

JQuinn
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    JohnGQuinn
    Great convo starter then, Rich. Can we narrow it down a bit to:

1. Problems that are not created by the technology itself -- like Attribution -- Attribution doesn't solve actual dealer problems; it solves problems created by technology (see how I'm differentiating between dealer & tech problems?). Things like my inventory doesn't talk to my CRM which doesn't talk to my DMS are not what I'm talking about.
    2. Big issues -- real dealer issues - things that connect Customers and Dealerships... tools that streamline connections between Customers and Dealerships -- what's not out there?

What should tech vendors be doing? What I'm positing is that there isn't a whole lot left on the Variable side -- only so much juice you can squeeze.

10. JQuinn

JQuinn
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    JohnGQuinn
    I think I disagree. I think you're too far in the weeds. Too complicated. Websites, inventory, merchandizing, F&I, Advertising, CRM.... huge innovations over the last 20 years (all in Variable). You're splitting hairs in many of these categories -- technology problems.

11. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    Ummmm.... who started this thread :thinker: and I can't even think of a way to respond here. It probably isn't worth heading down this path of rebuttals as we're certainly sliding away from my original intent. You do pose a fair question that, hopefully, others will chime-in on.