• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who uses both, Black Book and Kelley Blue Book trade appraisal tools, on their site?

From me experience...

KBB can bring "brand and trust" to your website.

Black Book can generate more leads since it's not a customer facing product and consumer is curious what this "black book value" is.

On average the closing percentage between the 2 are too close to give a clear winner in that department.

Can you build your own trade-in lead generator? Yes...and Joe has proved this.

How are you handling these leads can of course be a determinable factor.

I can see where Alex is coming from and if it works to NOT have a trade-in tool on your dealer website then go for it. I would agree that if you are 100% on everything else, you'll be just fine.

Alex, what is the hold up on getting vAuto to get this done? Maybe I can get AAX to jump on it... maybe elead Lotpulse would like to get in on this game! We've been talking about this for over 2 years now.

Me..I would build out a hybrid of what Joe has backed by a video explaining the process to build transparency. Use the video to step the customer through the exact process, introduce them to the used car buyer and let them know how you determine the values. Let the customer know, if they upload/send photos of their car that it would help with giving an accurate value, and hey guess what...we might have to call you. Might not produce the lead count the others do but I bet it would get you a solid lead.

NOTE: There is an older thread over on the blog that is a GREAT read Dealer Website Trade-in Tools; is it KBB Leaddriver OR Black Book Online? -- it's interesting to read the 29 comments and how nothing has really changed. Alex, you were pulling on vAuto back in Dec. of 2008 to get this done.

From me experience...

KBB can bring "brand and trust" to your website.

Black Book can generate more leads since it's not a customer facing product and consumer is curious what this "black book value" is.

On average the closing percentage between the 2 are too close to give a clear winner in that department.

Can you build your own trade-in lead generator? Yes...and Joe has proved this.

How are you handling these leads can of course be a determinable factor.

I can see where Alex is coming from and if it works to NOT have a trade-in tool on your dealer website then go for it. I would agree that if you are 100% on everything else, you'll be just fine.

Alex, what is the hold up on getting vAuto to get this done? Maybe I can get AAX to jump on it... maybe elead Lotpulse would like to get in on this game! We've been talking about this for over 2 years now.

Me..I would build out a hybrid of what Joe has backed by a video explaining the process to build transparency. Use the video to step the customer through the exact process, introduce them to the used car buyer and let them know how you determine the values. Let the customer know, if they upload/send photos of their car that it would help with giving an accurate value, and hey guess what...we might have to call you. Might not produce the lead count the others do but I bet it would get you a solid lead.

NOTE: There is an older thread over on the blog that is a GREAT read Dealer Website Trade-in Tools; is it KBB Leaddriver OR Black Book Online? -- it's interesting to read the 29 comments and how nothing has really changed. Alex, you were pulling on vAuto back in Dec. of 2008 to get this done.

Since KBB and BB offers those trade tools I don't think other vendors (like vAuto, AAX or even VS) can use KBB or BB values to make a competing product.

This company uses NADA values for their trade tool as another alternative:
Sell more cars and generate leads with our auto appraisal tool

Since KBB and BB offers those trade tools I don't think other vendors (like vAuto, AAX or even VS) can use KBB or BB values to make a competing product.

This company uses NADA values for their trade tool as another alternative:
Sell more cars and generate leads with our auto appraisal tool

Matt, you might want to read the entire thread before commenting. We were never talking about vAuto, AAX or even VS actually using KBB or BB values as part of their service. We were talking about a different service all together.

Alex, you were pulling on vAuto back in Dec. of 2008 to get this done.

It has been a long time. Somebody needs to do it!

Black Book Online has added a new service to their line-up. The Credit Activator - Dealer Q&A with Mike McFall on the Super Lead - Credit Activator

JK, just toured the Black Book Credit Activator(BBCA). I liked the concept, it harvested a lead, but with the results it produces, I wanted it to take me deeper in the shopping experience. For example, I'd like the BBCA to tell me what common interest rates are found for my BBCA results. TO get to this point, we'd have to know what the person is shopping for (read: more lead data!). Then, in a perfect world, the BBCA would dish up a BBCA pick list from my inventory.

IMO, it stopped short of where I thought it could go.