• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Will you increase mobile ad spend? Have you already?

^ this is what we find almost everywhere.
If we setup actual, custom-tailored mobile ads the response is great.

I often find mobile campaign that point to desktop only pages (non-responsive) or pages that 404 entirely.
Taking over other people's AdWords is always interesting - seeing them spend thousands on sending customers to 404s and outdated pages.

I run mobile campaigns on all my accounts.

All of my Cobalt client's mobile sites have been seeing enormous returns on visitor quality this year, and their user engagement metrics like time on site and pages per visit often out preform desktop - an unusual feat. I ran a quick analysis on this last month with one of my Cobalt clients to see if I could spot trends in mobile traffic and the results impressed me. Here's a 12 month graph of PPC sources by device and their associated performance:

wkAGLaV.png

Mobile's month-over-month numbers continue to rise, but this fact alone is not really a surprise. However, the mobile users interact with the site very well and convert at higher rates than any other device. It's very unusual to see a site with mobile traffic that outperforms desktop in terms of visitor quality. Cobalt does an excellent job building mobile sites, this looks like an interesting case study.

I've already adjusted the mobile bids in my AdWords accounts so that my clients appear more for this increasingly lucrative audience. Mobile visitors were 19% of total paid traffic in February for my clients, and 8 months later in October they now account for 38%.

Interesting that they say Remarketing is shrinking. I will have to do some thinking about that and why it would be happening if it's still the dominant avenue. Maybe remarketing doesn't work as well on mobile?

Either way, thanks for interrupting TrueCarRefresh with something else :)

Reactions: JessicaRuth
Thanks for the great thought nugget Jess! I've been deep in the trenches over the past few months. Looking at our mobile traffic, I'm working on converting to a responsive site. We did a good deal of mobile display and it's not performing too well. I think it may be more the ads than the platform. We've seen 11% of desktop traffic and 2% of tablet traffic moving to mobile y:y on our group site and moved 15% of our budget to keep the spend equal to the traffic.