• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

WTH Dealer Socket - We're Done!

Eley Duke

Boss
Nov 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Eley
Dealer Socket users, are you asking WTH has happened to Socket..... on a daily basis? We've been with Socket since 2012, were a pilot test dealer for Blackbird (kind of a let down once live), attended many Socket User Summits, used every product, are power users, etc etc. Made great friends and connections through Socket. When Ord and team sold Socket I was skeptical. (Major side note: Jonathan Ord and most of the original Socket team are Mormon, for people who don't drink they sure threw awesome parties and events - miss the User Summits).

Things went ok a while, then everyone I got to know & liked from Hunter Swift on left, should have been a sign. Never been the same, support issues, reps kept changing and they abandoned being in store as promised. Usability and technical issues would happen more previous average. And no development worth talking about. Then along came Solera, thought maybe things will get better. The last 6 months things have gotten steadily worse, kinda like how Putin feels probably. Connections have been so slow, and search features sporadically disappear. Problems assigning a vehicle to a customers profile. It will not search inventory half the time! It just spins forever when searching for customers. Reps were changing every 3 months and we've not had one in months The fill-in person has been informative and super nice, but cannot even get me a basic break down of our bill. I requested an itemized invoice, because they started lump sum billing. She said she requested this from accounting - 2 weeks ago. Feels like the US Govt!

She did tell me that I should hold on because they are making a $2 million dollar investment in the 1st quarter to address the issues. That's nice to know!

We're done, the break up email is drafted, and I signed with ELeads this week. I am sure they have issues too but the Socket relationship has felt no love for 6+ months. However all of our variable managers have used ELead and said far better than Socket. We will see. We did a demo with Drive Centric, that's a very cool CRM, really like the video and customer engagement. Yet missing service, and we felt it wasn't the right fit at this time.

I haven't posted, vented, asked any dumb questions, or harassed Alex on here in a long time. But I thought I would see if anyone else is seeing the slow death of Socket. Its sad, Jonathan Ord and his team built a great product, I don't fault them for selling it. Its a shame what has happened to it.

Happy New Year to everyone, including you Alex! Beers on me next time your in town!

Last edited:
Dealer Socket users, are you asking WTH has happened to Socket..... on a daily basis? We've been with Socket since 2012, were a pilot test dealer for Blackbird (kind of a let down once live), attended many Socket User Summits, used every product, are power users, etc etc. Made great friends and connections through Socket. When Ord and team sold Socket I was skeptical. (Major side note: Jonathan Ord and most of the original Socket team are Mormon, for people who don't drink they sure threw awesome parties and events - miss the User Summits).

Things went ok a while, then everyone I got to know & liked from Hunter Swift on left, should have been a sign. Never been the same, support issues, reps kept changing and they abandoned being in store as promised. Usability and technical issues would happen more previous average. And no development worth talking about. Then along came Solera, thought maybe things will get better. The last 6 months things have gotten steadily worse, kinda like how Putin feels probably. Connections have been so slow, and search features sporadically disappear. Problems assigning a vehicle to a customers profile. It will not search inventory half the time! It just spins forever when searching for customers. Reps were changing every 3 months and we've not had one in months The fill-in person has been informative and super nice, but cannot even get me a basic break down of our bill. I requested an itemized invoice, because they started lump sum billing. She said she requested this from accounting - 2 weeks ago. Feels like the US Govt!

She did tell me that I should hold on because they are making a $2 million dollar investment in the 1st quarter to address the issues. That's nice to know!

We're done, the break up email is drafted, and I signed with ELeads this week. I am sure they have issues too but the Socket relationship has felt no love for 6+ months. However all of our variable managers have used ELead and said far better than Socket. We will see. We did a demo with Drive Centric, that's a very cool CRM, really like the video and customer engagement. Yet missing service, and we felt it wasn't the right fit at this time.

I haven't posted, vented, asked any dumb questions, or harassed Alex on here in a long time. But I thought I would see if anyone else is seeing the slow death of Socket. Its sad, Jonathan Ord and his team built a great product, I don't fault them for selling it. Its a shame what has happened to it.

Happy New Year to everyone, including you Alex! Beers on me next time your in town!

Definitely at our wits end with them. In fact, I was just taking the Solera "training" videos to see if I was just doing something wrong now that it's updated, and half of the videos are using the old dashboard, so they're no help at all. Interested to see how it turns out with e-lead

Is Elead much better? First acquired by CDK, now acquired by Brookfield. They may face a similar fate as DealerSocket.

Vinsolutions seems to be the preferred CRM of managers. DriveCentric seems to be the preferred CRM of sales staff. So, what will sell more cars - easy reporting and customization (Vin) or crazy easy to use (Drive)?

Here's hoping the Tekion CRM will be ready for mainstream in the next couple of years to give the legacy CRM players a run for their money!

Just started looking at other DMS systems 2 weeks ago because of the same issue. Its been a complete nightmare since solera took over. What a great way to start the new year. We are a independent dealership adding a CRM also. Any input will be greatly appreciated

Reactions: Eley Duke
Found this thread while looking for solutions. DS has been getting continuously worse over the last year or so, since about October it's nearly unusable. constantly crashes , wont load pages, slow, inaccessible etc. Our IT company is at a loss, their only recommendation is to upgrade to fiber (rural area with not many options). Been a mess, sounds like fiber or not, it may be time to move on.

Reactions: craigh
Found this thread while looking for solutions. DS has been getting continuously worse over the last year or so, since about October it's nearly unusable. constantly crashes , wont load pages, slow, inaccessible etc. Our IT company is at a loss, their only recommendation is to upgrade to fiber (rural area with not many options). Been a mess, sounds like fiber or not, it may be time to move on.

Matt, sorry to hear this. Not sure exactly what's going on over there at the DS headquarters but from all the feedback and mumbling from others, it may be "that time."

Here's a thread over on linked in relevent to the topic and issues:

Reactions: craigh