• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Your Future Manager article

CFrentzen

Boss
Apr 24, 2009
First Name
Chris
Hey Alex just wanted to give a big thumbs up on that "Your Future Manager" article. Nicely said and good point. I'd only be half-kidding when saying I would take (certain) video-game experience into account for particular jobs involving multi-tasking. :thumbup:

Thanks!

You know when you get on one of those thought tangents and start thinking up some weird stuff? Well, I was listening to an interview a few months ago and started thinking how someone who plays a strategy game on a PC might be well suited for some of the things the interviewer was looking for....funny - just one of those random thoughts that pops through your head. Guess we were thinking the same thing!

-------------------------------

And since you started a thread here about the article, I'll elaborate on what drove me to write that article this morning.

I just spent 4 days in New Jersey with some extended family who has 4 kids between the ages of 5 and 11. I attended school with them one morning and noticed that the 11 year old's class were all having trouble paying attention until the teacher asked them to get started on their homework while she was still giving the lesson. As soon as that happened the entire classroom began to participate in the discussion - it dawned on me right then that these kids were so used to doing multiple things at once they couldn't focus on just one thing.

Yesterday, I was asked to announce a new policy to the GM's about CRM utilization and some of the questions I received later were very....um....how can I say it nicely....don't want to use the word retarded.....well....you get the idea. I've always had a bit of a struggle helping the older generations with technology - my patience just isn't there. What erks me is in how difficult it is for some of them to grasp things paired with thier egos not allowing them to just admit they don't get it. When I get in these situations I begin to wonder how someone like this will be able to continue in this fast-paced digital world we're all speeding toward. So I decided to write about it in the nicest way I could think to do it.

By the way, every blog article I write on DealerRefresh has been influenced by either someone pissing me off or coming across something really cool :lol: ....so, if you're ever reading something by me, try to guess the motivation.

Thanks!

You know when you get on one of those thought tangents and start thinking up some weird stuff? Well, I was listening to an interview a few months ago and started thinking how someone who plays a strategy game on a PC might be well suited for some of the things the interviewer was looking for....funny - just one of those random thoughts that pops through your head. Guess we were thinking the same thing!

-------------------------------

And since you started a thread here about the article, I'll elaborate on what drove me to write that article this morning.

I just spent 4 days in New Jersey with some extended family who has 4 kids between the ages of 5 and 11. I attended school with them one morning and noticed that the 11 year old's class were all having trouble paying attention until the teacher asked them to get started on their homework while she was still giving the lesson. As soon as that happened the entire classroom began to participate in the discussion - it dawned on me right then that these kids were so used to doing multiple things at once they couldn't focus on just one thing.

Yesterday, I was asked to announce a new policy to the GM's about CRM utilization and some of the questions I received later were very....um....how can I say it nicely....don't want to use the word retarded.....well....you get the idea. I've always had a bit of a struggle helping the older generations with technology - my patience just isn't there. What erks me is in how difficult it is for some of them to grasp things paired with thier egos not allowing them to just admit they don't get it. When I get in these situations I begin to wonder how someone like this will be able to continue in this fast-paced digital world we're all speeding toward. So I decided to write about it in the nicest way I could think to do it.

By the way, every blog article I write on DealerRefresh has been influenced by either someone pissing me off or coming across something really cool :lol: ....so, if you're ever reading something by me, try to guess the motivation.

don't want to use the word retarded
:lmao::lmao:

I know exactly what you mean and I can't agree more.